Water pump replacement 1979

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Pescado
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat spider 124

Re: Water pump replacement 1979

Post by Pescado »

redcars wrote:If those are 6mm bolts the specs are more likely 6 or 7 ft-lb. You can download a ft-lb chart that will give you the maximum toque for bolts. The maximum is not necessarily want you want to toque to, but if your book tells you more you know it's wrong.
Ya 14lbs seemed like a lot but thought I would follow the manual I’m using….after ready your post your way sounds better just to be sure.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Yes, 6 or 7 ft lbs is about as tight as you want with the water pump bolts. There are torque spec errors in the various manuals, likely due in part to conversion from metric to English units. That and sloppy proofreading.

On the "spare parts" in your coolant gallery, looks like someone has been in there before. The hexagonal spacer thing is weird, and the metal shard-like thing could be the back side of one of the bolt holes. Can you inspect inside the opening with a small mirror and a bright light and see if something looks missing from the back side of the block face where the water pump attaches?

-Bryan
Pescado
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat spider 124

Post by Pescado »

ok so looked around with a mirror but could not find anything that would explain where this piece came from...I guess it will remain a mystery as I need to move forward with putting things back together.
davebdave
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by davebdave »

Hi All, I just went to install this same Aluminum water pump. The thing is I don't have the original bolts. I grabbed some generic 6x1 hardware but the holes in the pump (not the block) are way larger than that. Do the original bolts have oversized shoulders? I can install so that the impeller doesn't rub the block but can I trust it not to move with the belt on and tight? Should I bush the bolts?

thanks,
Dave