What's this?

General chat about the car goes in here.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

So, if I understand right, inner diameter is 7/8" and outer diameter is 1.75" diameter. 1/2 circle only. I'll take a look at some parts tonight and see if anything is remotely near that size.

alvon
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

can you take a pic with a ruler or tape measure next to the washer? How did the piece get out of the bellhousing? Was it caught between the flywheel teeth and bellhousing?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

I thought I'd share what I found, just in case someone else ran into this problem. The bendix came apart in my starter and the pieces ended up in the flywheel cover.

http://gallery.italiancarclub.com/124og ... 5.JPG.html
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

so, I was right with my first assessment! Anyway, I've never seen a drive fail that badly. Was it noisy before the failure?
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Yes, you were right. The washer thingy didn't look like it would fit in there but I did find the other half when I pulled the starter. The strange thing is there was no warning the starter was going bad until I heard the first piece get chewed up....then I drove the car 15 miles the same night and didn't have a problem. The next time I started it in the garage, it turned over slow, then seized, making me think the engine was seized. Thank goodness it was just the starter.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

definitely the lesser of many possible evils. And with all of this practice, you should be getting pretty quick at starter replacement. Just as an aside, I'm working on adapting one of the small hi-torque starters to fit the Fiat block. It's about 1/3 smaller than the oem starter, so replacing it should be a piece of cake
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

That sounds interesting. I hope you post or progress and pics when it's done. I was seriously considering drilling a hole in the firewall to access that stupid bolt but with my luck that would cause something else to malfunction. :?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

Denise, I happened to be at my rebuilders' shop this morning and I was mentioning to him about your drive failure. He told me that the face of the drive has to be contacting the flywheel, the flywheel wears the end of the drive off and lets the rollers come out. When I told him you had a custom flywheel, he said the solution is to shim the starter so that the drive is at the proper depth. Hope that helps before you have another failure
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Mark, you amaze me! That's exactly what I was going to do. When I told Ron what had happened, he said the next one needed shimmed. He was on a tight time schedule and didn't have time to make sure it was right. I guess that's what happens when you try to appease an impatient wife!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

Is it true that impatient and wife always go together?
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Uh, maybe sometimes. :wink:
I got my starter on this evening and made sure I shimmed it. I'm surprised it didn't take as long as pulling it off. I must be getting good at this. :D It turned over with no weird sounds so I must have done it right.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

next you'll be posting that you are pulling the starter each week just because you can do it in 15 mins or less. Maybe you can institute a little competition at the FFO-fastest starter r & r!
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

I don't think so. I think I'm better off supervising someone else, with a beer in my hand! That starter replacement wouldn't have been half bad then.
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

I can do a timing belt in less than half an hour.. in a non-2 litre car. The 2.0 takes an extra five minutes due to the crank pulley needing to be removed.
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Half hour's not unreasonable. Now, if I had to pull the crank pulley, it may never get done...what's your starter replacement time? :wink: