What's this?

General chat about the car goes in here.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

What's this?

Post by mdrburchette »

The Fiat Gods are after me again. I started my 72 and heard this godawful racket. It sounded just like the bendix in the starter was hitting the flywheel. After pulling the flywheel cover off, this little half washer came out. Does anyone know what it could be? The car doesn't make any more noise when running, but is it safe to drive?

http://gallery.italiancarclub.com/124og ... 5.JPG.html
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

How big is it?

alvon
Danno

Post by Danno »

that can't be good! meh, just drive it 'til you have problems....lol
Last edited by Danno on Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

that looks like the washer off of the starter armature-it keeps the starter drive from extending too far and wearing into the starter housing
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Does that mean I shouldn't drive it? I wonder how it came out of the starter to begin with.
Danno

Post by Danno »

mdrburchette wrote:Does that mean I shouldn't drive it? I wonder how it came out of the starter to begin with.
Drive it all you want, just whatever you do don't start it. lol.

Good call though Mark, I wouldn't recognize anything like that. IF that's really what it is you should be ok (i mean fix it ASAP, but don't worry too much) as long as your car starts right up and you don't require excessive starter use. Another thing that would help is if your battery is almost dead. I know it sounds like I'm joking, but seriously... it'll keep that starter drive from spinning (and extending) very fast (and far). What else could that piece be?
Danno

Post by Danno »

oh, and I guess something I didn't think of: if this is what Mark says it is, then I'd wonder about the other half of it. if it's jammed up in the starter gears it could cause some damage. Better to be without any of it than part of it.
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

The piece that came out is actually made as a half washer/circle. It wasn't broken in half. I drove the car and can't seem to find anything amiss. I guess it will show up when I'm on a roadtrip. :?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

does it sound normal when you operate the starter? As for the low battery advice, that isn't a good idea. Operating the starter with a low battery will cause the contacts in the solenoid to burn as well as the starter brushes and armature
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

There are no abnormol noises from the starter. I have another starter I took off my car when we changed clutches and I can't see a piece that resembles what fell out of my car. I'm going to check another release bearing I have to see if anything resembles this piece and call the company that built this new racing clutch to see if they recognize it. This car baffles me with it's wierd crap!
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

it would be helpful to have some idea of the size of that piece, but since I'm not familiar with your clutch it could be something from that
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

The meat of the washer is 7/8 wide and the diameter is about 1 3/4. Kind of hard to measure since it's bent.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

oh, that's way too large to be the starter thrust washer. Maybe something that holds the pressure plate together
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

I called the clutch manufacturer and they told me they have nothing like that on their clutch assemblies. I'm just going to drive it and hope it doesn't puke any more parts.
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

I guess it would help to learn how to read a tape measure. From inside circle to outer edge it's 7/16"