Low Beam being Testy

Gotta love that wiring . . .
blanchardkeith

Low Beam being Testy

Post by blanchardkeith »

My low beams worked just the other night. Now they don't. Fuse isn't blown, highs work all parking lights work. Checked connections. Cleaned both sides off, no open wires. Help! Wanting to drive it out tonight!!
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Re: Low Beam being Testy

Post by kmead »

Have you checked the ground wire where it is attached to the body? There will be a crown type multi connector ground that should be taken off, cleaned and reattached. This can greatly improve overall lighting quality.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
blanchardkeith

Post by blanchardkeith »

I looked for that ground. I don't know where it is. looked under the left front fender. it's a 75.
thanks
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

Not sure if the earlier models had the grounding pods I know my 79 does. Look in the engine compartment, there would be one on the left and one on the right fender walls.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

probably worn contacts on the beam switch in the column. Try wiggling the lever and see if the lights work. If they do, get a new combination switch
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

ACK... the obvious thing ... was not discussed. light bulbs burn out, even in 2009

manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

My bet is on the column switch contacts. I had the same problem, high beams work, but low beams didn't. I temporarly made some little jumper sections and switched the high/low beam wiring at the connector block near the ground pods. That was just so I could drive home after work.

When you remove the column switch, look at the ring on the backside where all the wires are riveted to. The grey wire with the red stripe will probably be the one that is burnt, or the rivet gets so hot that it melts the surrounding plastic and the contacts no longer touch each other.

Yes it could be the bulbs too.