What alternator do I have?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
restonko
Your car is a: 1979 Fiat Spider 2000 Carb.

What alternator do I have?

Post by restonko »

Hi everyone,

My battery indicator light is on, so I need a new alternator. Its a 1979 Spider 2000 Carb. Just wondering which alternator is in there? because I heard there is a Marelli or Bosch unit is available for the same year. Or is there some other alternator I that will work on the Fiat?

My local parts store doesnt carry one. So either I buy one online or rebuild my current one.

Thanks
Reston
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: What alternator do I have?

Post by manoa matt »

Check the belt tension first. 1979 should have a 65 amp internally regulated alternator I'd take it to a local rebuilder and have them check it out. Usually the no-charge light will activate when the diode burns out, easy fix for the rebuilder. The brushes or voltage regulator could also be bad, but he'll sort that out.

International Auto Parts has an article on how to ID the alternator in their tech section.

If you wanted to upgrade, you can install a 95 amp Ford alternator, but it will require modest modifications. Check the search feature on the forum for the thread.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

actually, the 65 amp did not appear until air conditioning.... the '79 would stock be a 55 amp...

have you already had the battery tested? a red light glowing does not automatically mean a bad alternator. it could mean dirty or loose connections, a dead or dying battery as well.
restonko

Post by restonko »

the battery is new so im not worried about that. I think its a bad diode or something in my alternator. So I either get a new one, or get mine rebuilt locally. Just wondering if the Bosch and Marelli 55 amp unit are interchangeable. If i was to buy one online.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

highly recommend the rebuild locally concept if that is an option.
restonko

Post by restonko »

yeah, my mechanic suggest me bring the alternator to a local rebuilder, since it should be an easy fix. However, I couldnt take the alternator out myself. Gave it a go today, wasn't able to loosen the bottom bolt. So have to bring it to my mechanic anyways. The car is driveable, just idles low. Its a carburated 2000 Spider, can anyone tell me which screw to adjust do set the idling higher, pictures will be awesome. I have another post, but no one replied:
http://www.fiatspider.com:16080/f08/vie ... f=5&t=6965

If I was to buy a new one from Vick or IAP, does anyone know if the Bosch and Marelli unit are the same thing just different brand?

http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/20-1358.html
http://www.vickauto.com/cgi-bin/store/20-1357.html