Anyone rebuilt their "double relay"

Gotta love that wiring . . .
freespider

Anyone rebuilt their "double relay"

Post by freespider »

This is the relay which controls the fuel pump relay and appears to also send power to the fuel injection computer and leaves you stranded 60 miles from home when it does not work (I later found how to jumper it to make it work, but AFTER the $250 tow home). It's nearly $100 to replace. I took it apart and observed that both relays do work, I measured the resistance when the contacts are closed and both are below 1 ohm. I am thinking a trace is broken or one of the diodes are dead. I still need to double check the diodes. Any thoughts? It would be a pity to spend $100 on something that probably needs less than $1.00 to fix. Vick's Autosport says this is a fairly common failure, so I am thinking these devices fail in a similar way.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

relay set

Post by spider2081 »

I have opened a couple of the relay sets. It is a pretty simple circuit. Hooking it up opened and watching it work is worth a 1000 words. The relays I have are well made, which makes me think the relay set is sometimes changed simply to eliminate it as the cause of a problem more than having proved it is the problem, The three steering diodes and the resistor could be purchased from any electronic supplier. The exact relays would be more difficult to find.