FORD 95 AMP Alternator Swap

Gotta love that wiring . . .
sptcoupe
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Coupe

FORD 95 AMP Alternator Swap

Post by sptcoupe »

Some folks have suggested I post these pics of a fix for our weak alternators in this forum, as I originally started it in the "Engine and Tuning" forum, which is exactly the place for electrical issues. The history of the fix is in the other thread, but basically, the 95 amp alternator from a 92 Ford Tempo bolts up and is easily re-wired for a TC. The only issue is the belt pulley, as the 92 comes with a serpentine belt pulley. We tried the v-bely pulley from the 75 amp unit from an 88 Tempo, but the hole had to be enlareged, and ultimately, it did not line up properly. The final fix was to have an aluminum pulley made (about $25.00). The rest was easy. The pics below show it bolted up to the new 2.0L for my coupe. In the other thread, there are some photos of the wiring as well.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww21 ... rnator.jpg
http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww21 ... nator2.jpg
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Re: FORD 95 AMP Alternator Swap

Post by mdrburchette »

Nice looking engine you have there, Jeff! When are you going to drop it into the Coupe? Let us know your thoughts on the alternator conversion when you get your car on the road. It should be interesting to see what it improves.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
sptcoupe

Post by sptcoupe »

Denise - will do. I am hoping it is a good fix for a lot of electrical issues, but moire than anything I want to be sure I have enough juice to run the FI system. It really is an easy swap.
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Post by kmead »

As others have said, really nice looking engine.

It appears that you milled a new aluminum lower mount (as well as previous allusions to installing it with something other than a stack of washers added to the stock mount), do you have any details you would be willing to share? How much different the mount needed to be and so on. Given your experience do you believe it would also work on the right side of the engine (for example on my coupe's 1438) relative to headers/exhaust?

Many thanks in advance.
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Post by vandor »

Hello,

I am the one who is working on Jeff's engine/alternator.
kmead wrote: It appears that you milled a new aluminum lower mount, ... do you have any details you would be willing to share? How much different the mount needed to be and so on. Given your experience do you believe it would also work on the right side of the engine (for example on my coupe's 1438) relative to headers/exhaust?
The lower mount is stock Fiat (oil filter holder/alternator mount), for a left-side mounted alternator.
The size of the alternator is about the same as a Fiat one, so I am pretty sure it would fit on the right side aswell.
All Spider alternators had the same mounts, so physically they all interchange.
I had several alternator pullies made, unfortunately they were not $25 as Jeff said, but $50. I should have
gone to a less fancy machine shop...
Anyways, once Jeff's is ready and running I plan on offering a kit containing the alternator, pulley, connectors, bolts,
and instructions. It won't be cheap, as a rebuilt alternator alone is ~$130, so the kit will be in the $200 range.
bye,

Csaba
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
sptcoupe

Re: FORD 95 AMP Alternator Swap - New Pic w/ Intake System in P

Post by sptcoupe »

HEre is a photo of the new 2.0L, with the custom TB FI intake system in place, and the '92 Ford Tempo, 95 amp alternator installed and wired up, ready to go.