wipers?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
topless moma

wipers?

Post by topless moma »

Okay this is weird. My wipers stopped working last Fall, just before I put the car up for the winter. Figured it needed a new wiper motor, they were real slow anyway, and since I don't take the car out in the rain it was no big deal to me (unless the weather changed suddenly when I was out with it, which happened once or twice!)
So Nickc came over to look at the car last weekend, and we had the hood open naturally, and it was raining just a bit, and all of a sudden the wipers started working- and now they won't turn off! I hear a "click", they swipe, I try turning the switch off, they just keep going in either position.
What do I do about this? I can't drive the thing with the wipers going across a dry windshield. Grrrr! I liked it better when they weren't working- I tried finding a connection to pull so they would stop, can't locate the right wire. They at least go off when I shut the engine down.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

I would highly suspect the wiper control switch on the steering column has shorted out.
topless moma

Post by topless moma »

It's not on the column, it's a round switch on the dash.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the dash switch is to merely turn it to delay, for intermittent wiping. The right side of the column has a stalk that turns the wipers on and off :wink:
topless moma

Post by topless moma »

:oops: omg, really? Ok, now "topless moma" means i don't have a head on top of my shoulders at all! See, I said I never take it out in the rain! I only got it last summer...

Thanks, this is a HUGE help! I would have taken it to the mechanic and they would have charged me a fortune to "fix" it!
nickfury

Post by nickfury »

:P lol
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Don't feel bad, Topless. I drove my Fiat in the hot summer for years with the heat on, not realizing the smell of burning tennis shoes wasn't normal and I still have to look in the owner's manual to figure out what the levers are for!
topless moma

Post by topless moma »

:roll: I have that problem too! With the heat levers- one of the little indicators on the bezel is missing, so I'm never sure if I have them all set in the right position. I have a manual, I'll make it a point to look and I'll let you know (yeah, yeah, I know, why haven't I looked before- I would've known about the wipers then! and I'm not even a "natural" blonde, either!) :wink:
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

Whew - I thought there might be an alternative to the paddle switches on the column.

Good thing we gots sense of humor.

Are your wipers functioning properly now?
topless moma

Post by topless moma »

dunno- haven't had a chance to check that yet. I'll get out there tomorrow.

Thanks peeps, for all the advice.
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

I might also suggest taking apart the linkage and greasing everything. Makes a WORLD of difference in speed.
topless moma

Post by topless moma »

:) ReMARKable! That worked! And the dang lever even reads "wiper/washer"! Don't know how I never noticed that... Now, can anybody tell me if there's a similar lever for my speedo? No? Shoot!
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

It's the lever commonly known as the accelerater pedal. :D Just kidding!
topless moma

Post by topless moma »

:lol: You guys kill me!
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

I recently drove an hour and a half to a guys house to help him with what I was lead to believe "a wiring problem".

Lights used to work, but now they don't.

Now, I am not familiar with the '83 Pininfarina Spider, mind you. So, 70 miles away I was not able to diagnose that after a year of ownership he had yet to discover the factory light switch located on the top of the steering column. He had been accidently changing it occasionally without realizing. No wonder his lights worked sometimes, and sometimes they did not!

LOL....it ain't just girls Topless....it ain't just girls with spectacle issues.