Shaky shifter

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Pr124spider
Your car is a: 1975 spider

Shaky shifter

Post by Pr124spider »

So my 75 spider stick shift rattles noisily in 2nd gear starting around 3000 rpm’s and in 3rd gear (same). Supposedly, tranny/clutch redone a little over a year ago. Owner I bought car from ghosted me after I drove off so can’t learn where done to follow up. Anyone experience this? Remedy?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Shaky shifter

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Pr124spider wrote:Anyone experience this? Remedy?
Yes. The shift lever extension (the chrome part with the shift ball on top) is notorious for loosening up over time on Fiats, and as a result, the whole shift lever rattles. New bushings and rubber "plugs" are available to rebuild the shift lever. However, sometimes the rattle is a result of a worn shift lever pivot ball in the upper transmission, and while this can also be repaired, it's a little more complicated.

The good news is that a rattling shift lever is NOT usually a sign of transmission issues.

By the way, where are you located?

-Bryan
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Thanks Bryan! Appreciate that, and the good news. Wish I could find someone that knows these cars.

Labor is 190 an hour and the place I’ve been taking my car to (for 3 months) is happy I’m paying for them to learn on the job and go through excessive trial and error. I’m in San Diego and for months have been trying to discover a vintage fiat spider person. Apparently they’re retired, or they died from excessive frustration.
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

If the previous owner switched out to a short shifter, some of those remove the rubber bushings and creates the rattle you’re describing.

Try to find and attend a classic car show, especially if it’s Italian based. Bet you could network around and find fellow helpful enthusiast and also mechanic referrals. If there’s a Fiat Club of America chapter near you, that would be another way to find local help.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Bender's suggestion is a good one. Meanwhile, you could do a little testing yourself to see what the problem might be. With the engine off, put the transmission in third gear, and wiggle the shift knob side to side. The goal here is to see if you can feel where it is pivoting, that is, whether a few inches down on the chrome extension or about a foot down from the knob. It's a subtle difference, but the answer could point to where the loose part is (and thus the likely repair).

-Bryan
PS: I think you used the term "freeway" at one point, which kinda pointed to you being in California, or at least the West Coast. People in other parts of the country don't generally use that term.
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Thanks Bender and Bryan. Grateful for your insights and will do.
TheBender
Patron 2019
Patron 2019
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider

Post by TheBender »

I did a quick search through an Alfa board and found a list of potential mechanics as many classic Italian mechanic work on Alfa and Fiat.

https://www.alfabb.com/attachments/alfa ... f.1759805/

The one that caught my eye was

Mel's Auto Repair
139 N Pacific St, just off Freeway 78 at the Las Posas exit
San Marcos, CA 92069
coolclassics@melsautorepair.com
Phone: (760) 591-0311
New Owner/Mechanic Brendon Neil
Club member, Scott Currier, has been taking his Duetto there for several years. The shop
works almost exclusively on classic Italian and British cars. Arnie Aquino is having the rear
springs and shocks on his Spider replaced at Mel’s. New member Deborah Abrams just had a
new carburetor and some other work done on her 1959 Giulia Sprint and says that it is running
great.
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Thanks a lot bender, will follow up!
reidyyz
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider 1800

Post by reidyyz »

You could also look at the position/assembly of the ball/spring/upper cup. I found my stick had no support and had no spring force to hold it up. Turns out the spring was indeed there, but the upper cup was in the wrong place and the spring was just squeezed between two fixed points and the shifter was just free floating. I also had my drive shaft out for a refresh (new guibo, uni bearings, support bearing and some paint), so it made it significantly easier for access. Apparently it can still be done with the shaft still in place, from what I read elsewhere, but it looks like it would be a fight.
Henry

1976 Spider 1800
Pr124spider

Post by Pr124spider »

Thx very much henry.