Green ground? under the car

Gotta love that wiring . . .
johankjellgren
Your car is a: 1980 124 Spider

Green ground? under the car

Post by johankjellgren »

Sorry for asking noob questions but...

Where does this green cable go? below the starterarea.

https://imgur.com/a/LT3jRS8
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Re: Green ground? under the car

Post by Anbele »

Mmm…I’m surprised you have a running car with that ground not being properly fastened…anyway, the bolt that seems closest to it…the one that seems to be a bit loose…you can see a bit of “air” between the washer and the head bolt.
johankjellgren

Post by johankjellgren »

Anbele wrote:Mmm…I’m surprised you have a running car with that ground not being properly fastened…anyway, the bolt that seems closest to it…the one that seems to be a bit loose…you can see a bit of “air” between the washer and the head bolt.
Thank you.
So it is a body to engine ground?

haha the car is not running. Thats why I am here so much :)
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Some folks move the ground to one of the starter mounting bolts. They are less likely to strip when tightened and many believe it makes a better grounding point as the starter is the greatest current draw the car has.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

johankjellgren wrote:So it is a body to engine ground?
Yes. If you think about it, the engine has almost no ground connections to the body. All the hoses are rubber, the engine sits on rubber engine mounts, the transmission output goes through the rubber giubo, and the exhaust is usually mounted with rubber hangers. Nothing conductive between the engine/transmission and body except for that the green cable.

Without that ground cable, the clutch cable is about the only thing that could act as a ground, but even that has plastic bushings on the pedal spindle. Plus, the cable wasn't designed to carry electrical current, so if it does, it can heat up and start causing clutch cable problems.

-Bryan
johankjellgren

Post by johankjellgren »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
johankjellgren wrote:So it is a body to engine ground?
Yes. If you think about it, the engine has almost no ground connections to the body. All the hoses are rubber, the engine sits on rubber engine mounts, the transmission output goes through the rubber giubo, and the exhaust is usually mounted with rubber hangers. Nothing conductive between the engine/transmission and body except for that the green cable.

Without that ground cable, the clutch cable is about the only thing that could act as a ground, but even that has plastic bushings on the pedal spindle. Plus, the cable wasn't designed to carry electrical current, so if it does, it can heat up and start causing clutch cable problems.

-Bryan
Thank You, Makes sense. It is now firmly attached to the starter mount.
Slowly getting closer to the day I can start the engine.
Try to do something every day

I have an automatic and a 131 tranny (radiator, pedals etc) which would be step 2.