what goes where?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
johankjellgren
Your car is a: 1980 124 Spider

what goes where?

Post by johankjellgren »

https://imgur.com/a/i3xK1vA

found out 2 is clutch and 3 is speedometer

The rest should be connected to the alternator and starter I think?

Anyone knows exactly?

/ johan
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: what goes where?

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Yes, #2 is the clutch cable but the connector on the end doesn't look quite right. #3 is the speedometer cable as you noted. #1 is the main cable from the battery to the large copper post on the starter motor, secured with a nut. The brown wire of #4 connects to that same post, while the red wire goes to the starter motor solenoid connection.

#5 connects to the output post of the alternator, and one wire should lead (eventually) to the battery while the other goes into the passenger compartment (usually to the ignition switch).

-Bryan
johankjellgren

Post by johankjellgren »

Thank You !
johankjellgren

Post by johankjellgren »

Does it make sense that #5 connects to the alternator and then to the Starter? since it has 2 (green) connections?
18Fiatsandcounting

johankjellgren wrote:Does it make sense that #5 connects to the alternator and then to the Starter?
Yes. I am used to working on earlier spiders where the battery is in the front and the alternator is on the passenger side. However, on your spider, the alternator is on the driver side and the battery is in the trunk. So, the easier connection on yours is from the alternator to the large post of the starter, which then goes to the battery. Electrically, it's the same.

-Bryan
johankjellgren

Post by johankjellgren »

I finally found the brown engine connection from the harness.
Things are coming together.

Got the charger light cable in place ion the alternator

There is however a black/yellow cable in the "alternator bundle" I cant figure out what it is for. looking at the wiring scheme i find nothing?
18Fiatsandcounting

johankjellgren wrote:There is however a black/yellow cable in the "alternator bundle" I cant figure out what it is for. looking at the wiring scheme i find nothing?
If the wire is grey/yellow, that would likely be for the low oil pressure sending unit. If the wire is truly black/yellow, that is a bit of a mystery.

-Bryan
johankjellgren

Post by johankjellgren »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
johankjellgren wrote:There is however a black/yellow cable in the "alternator bundle" I cant figure out what it is for. looking at the wiring scheme i find nothing?
If the wire is grey/yellow, that would likely be for the low oil pressure sending unit. If the wire is truly black/yellow, that is a bit of a mystery.

-Bryan
I'll check again. 43 year old grey could look like black :)