3 Amp Stubby Torpedo Fuse // Checking Electrical Issues

Gotta love that wiring . . .
QuintupleTurbo
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat 124 Spider

3 Amp Stubby Torpedo Fuse // Checking Electrical Issues

Post by QuintupleTurbo »

A few days ago I had noticed that my clock stopped working in the car. Oh well, I thought, it wasn't restored so it's time has come. When I turned the car over, the "BRAKE" and cabin lights looked a little brighter than usual. Could've been my eyes, but I remembered that.

Fast forward to today. I started the car and while in neutral, it died. when I went to turn the car back over, I didn't hear the fuel pump running. The in-line fuel pump fuse was blown. I looked down and the clock was functioning again. The fuel pump itself is an aftermarket Facet Gold Flo pump, which recommends a 3 Amp fuse. When I tracked down where the in-line fuse was, this fuse had dropped out of the OE twist-and-lock fuse holder: https://www.midwest-bayless.com/p-8402- ... e-nos.aspx "Very hard to find".

I've searched all over the internet for 3 amp torpedo fuses, and can't find them anywhere. I'm going to call around to a few shops in the area to try my luck. Am I able to put a non torpedo style 3 amp fuse in this holder? Since these are so hard to find, I wonder if I should look around for different types of in line fuse holders.

Also, I keep thinking back to the clock not working. I would be furious if I tracked down a 3 amp stubby fuse and it blew again after starting up. Anything I should be checking out in the meantime? Fusebox connections all look good, and no blown fuses in there.

Thanks!
"The only substitute for cubic inches is cubic money."
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: 3 Amp Stubby Torpedo Fuse // Checking Electrical Issues

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

QuintupleTurbo wrote:Am I able to put a non torpedo style 3 amp fuse in this holder?
Yes. Nothing special about the torpedo fuse (sometimes called a European automotive fuse), and in fact, they were a pretty crappy fuse design anyway.

With your existing fuse holder, I'm pretty sure you can use a 1/4" by 5/8" glass metal fast acting fuse for 3 amps, and a decent hardware store might have these. Or search your favorite online vendor for something like "Bussmann 1/4" X 5/8" AGA Automotive Glass Fuse 3 Amp"

Or, you can buy a new inline fuse holder for the more conventional 1/4" by 1 and 1/4" glass fuses (sometimes 6mm x 30mm), and then 3 amps is very easy to find.

That's the easy part. The harder part is why the fuse blew in the first place. For that, you will need to trace down the wiring to the fuel pump and see if there is a short somewhere. Anything else on that circuit? I thought the clock circuit was separate as the clock runs all the time no matter were the ignition switch is, but the fuel pump is only operational when the engine is running.

-Bryan