headlamps not working

Gotta love that wiring . . .
lucas83
Your car is a: 1983 Fiat Pininfarina 2000

headlamps not working

Post by lucas83 »

Hey guys!

I have a 81 Spider project on the go at the moment and I have been struggling with the low beams not functioning. High beams work. So Ive got to the point of checking the feed wiring to the back of the fuse panel for the low beam fuses, its a grey/red wire located in Pin #5 but feeds both low beam fuses and there is NOT power to that connector. I removed the headlamp switch on the dash and figured out that the green wire on the switch is the control for the low beams. Just to test I used a jumper wire from that green wire to the grey/red wire. Headlamps worked. So I've confirmed that its a wiring issue. Now, This car has a brutal aftermarket alarm system installed and was not installed very nicely there's splices and connectors, wiring EVERYWHERE. Super scary sight. My idea is to try to chase the grey/red wire back to where its possibly cut into or jumped into the alarm harness and put it back to stock.

Was wondering if anybody has a decent wiring diagram for me to use as some sort of map to see where the grey/red wire goes before I pull have the dash apart.

Thanks in advance.

Lucas
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: headlamps not working

Post by spider2081 »

One of the best auto electrical publications is actually a Fiat electrical publication. It is available on the Mirafiori.com site for members and the membership is free you just need to register to have access to their library.
the publication is titled " Spider 2000 Electrical Diagnostic Manual 1980-1981"
Sounds like the hi/lo beam switch may be defective
Hope this helps
lucas83
Your car is a: 1983 Fiat Pininfarina 2000

Re: headlamps not working

Post by lucas83 »

Thank you @spider2081 , I will look into this. I believe your correct in the hi beam switch failure.

Thanks again!