General Tune Up, Fluid Change Concerns

General chat about the car goes in here.
JPLSR1
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

General Tune Up, Fluid Change Concerns

Post by JPLSR1 »

OK, Since I am "new" to this forum and although being a "Classic Car Guy", and have my share of classics, this is (as I previously noted) my first FIAT. I obtained this FIAT Spider (1980 - Fuel Injected) from an individual who; according to his story and it appears to be valid based on his history, car guy, other cars at his shop, etc., "this FIAT was purchased at an Estate Sale, there were a number of other cars at the sale, and they all have been sitting for some time"; so with that said here are my questions, concerns:

1. The FIAT (by the gentleman who I got it from) once brought back from the sale had:
a) Gas drained, fresh gas put in
b) Four "Brand New Tires" put on (buyer stated the tires were flat and dry rotted suggesting the in-storage story was true).
c) New battery.
Once the above was done the FIAT started right up and drove, and it drives now "Great".

My planned "Action Plan", some done, some scheduled:

Exterior: I have cleaned up the exterior, paint looks good but you can see where it was either "re-painted" (entirely) or "touched-up", but again looks good as she sits.

Interior: is in great shape with the need to do a good "going over", clean up. Note The little I did, I found some "Anti Rodent" small bags up under the seat and under the dash suggesting that when it was put away they took the time to ensure no "wires" were eating or nest built, I like that.

Glass: All good, clear, no fog, roll up and down easy.

Radio: Looks like a nice, up-to-date system; It has "two" small amplifiers mounted in the back truck, sounds great.

Tires: Brand New

Rims: Look great.

Top: Looks Brand, Next-2-New and works great.

Seats: No rips, soft to the touch. Little problem with adjusting the driver's seat, I'll look that over.

Drives great shifts great, starts and idles nice, and stops great.

OK, with that said, here is what I plan to do and I'll finally get to the question:

Going to change all the "fluids", radiator, oil, and transmission, any "Tips" on that process, type, weight, etc.

Tune - UP, "General Tune-Up", any tips on parts, types, and what to look for, what to replace.

Other than that, what else, where else should "I" would you look at; keep in mind that the Ohio Winter is right around the corner, so she will be put in the back garage until spring, enough time to go over what you FIAT owners (experts) suggest.

Look forward to your replies.

Thanks;

JPLSR/OH
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: General Tune Up, Fluid Change Concerns

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Sounds like a good car! A few thoughts:

I would also change the timing belt and timing belt tensioner bearing. Kits are available for this. Many people also replace the water pump when they are in that front area of the engine.

As for fluids, here's what you need:
Coolant: 50/50 mix of antifreeze/water, about 2 gallons total. I would use the traditional antifreeze, not the newer organic or waterless coolants. They don't do as well on these older cars.

Engine Oil: For Ohio, probably 10W-40. I would use non-synthetic. Roughly 5 quarts with the filter.

Transmission: These transmissions use GL-1 which is mineral oil-based but not that common anymore. Some NAPA auto parts stores sell it, and you can buy it online. Opinions vary on which oil to use, so if you ask 5 people, you'll get 6 different answers. Some people have used GL-4 which might be OK, but the sulfur additives aren't good for the brass synchros. I definitely would not use GL-5 (which has more sulfur additives). Roughly a quart and a half, but just fill to the lower lip of the fill plug (on the passenger side of the transmission about 2" up from the oil pan).

Differential: Other than the steering box, this is the only place that uses the EP (Extreme Pressure) oils. About a quart and a half of 80W-90 or similar. Non-synthetic.

-Bryan