AR ignition switch relay kit - headlights don't work

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dassub
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 124 Spider

AR ignition switch relay kit - headlights don't work

Post by dassub »

Has anyone experienced issues after installing the AR ignition switch relay kit?
Mine is the original Sipea ignition switch, but after install, the headlights don't work.
If the relay kit install is reversed back to stock, they work again.

Curious if the troubleshooting starts at the kit itself, or at the car wiring.
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Re: AR ignition switch relay kit - headlights don't work

Post by dinghyguy »

I have installed a kit and it worked, then i made a copy for my other car and that worked also. I put the plastic "molex" plugs on the ends of the kit to make it plug and play instead of carefully plugging each kit wire into each of the existing molex's in the car. I found the wires in the molex were in different places on each car, I suspect the PO's had been in there doing something.

BUT regardless of how you do it you MUST confirm the right wire goes to the correct color of wire or terminal number on the switch. If you have wired it correctly it should work. I have a circuit diagram for it for a 79 if you want.

You might switch the relays around carefully and see if something else fails but the lights work as a way to test the relays. But no matter what you do you must make sure the wiring is correct.

good luck
Dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
dassub
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: AR ignition switch relay kit - headlights don't work

Post by dassub »

dinghyguy wrote:I have installed a kit and it worked, then i made a copy for my other car and that worked also. I put the plastic "molex" plugs on the ends of the kit to make it plug and play instead of carefully plugging each kit wire into each of the existing molex's in the car. I found the wires in the molex were in different places on each car, I suspect the PO's had been in there doing something.

BUT regardless of how you do it you MUST confirm the right wire goes to the correct color of wire or terminal number on the switch. If you have wired it correctly it should work. I have a circuit diagram for it for a 79 if you want.

You might switch the relays around carefully and see if something else fails but the lights work as a way to test the relays. But no matter what you do you must make sure the wiring is correct.

good luck
Dinghyguy
I would be interested in the circuit diagram if it's the same for my '81. The car is currently at my mechanic's shop, so I'm not 100% sure of what the wiring looks like. I was under the impression that this job would have been plug and play, but I guess there's always surprises when previous owners may or may not be involved.