Green wire issue

Gotta love that wiring . . .
charlielucky
Your car is a: Fiat 124 2000 C3 1981 model

Green wire issue

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, I am restoring an 81 Fiat 124 2000 and I need some advice about the dashboard light switch connection. At first the light switch was not working at all, so I took it apart and found out that one of the pins inside was out of position. I put the pin back in place and the light switch works but the connector to the switch is getting too hot. Somebody in the past has attached the green wire to the black and white wire so I would like to put this wire back in its original place. I'm going to replace the light switch because I think it is only a matter of time before it fails again. Does anybody have a photo of the correct connection for the green wire?

Charles
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: Green wire issue

Post by spider2081 »

I don't have a photo but I believe the terminals on the switch are labeled.
D is the brown & blue wires. power in start and run
V is the black wire Battery power all the time the batter is connected.
L is the white/black wire Marker ,tail, license plate and dash lits
H is the green wire to steering column hi/lo beam switch

hopw this helps
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Hi,
Thank you very much for the information. My eyesight is pretty awful so I would not have noticed if terminals are indicated. I'll put on my best pair of glasses and have a look tonight. Where on this forum can I get information about all the rubber seals on the car? I bought a package from spiderpoint.com in Germany a couple of years ago and now I have no idea where they all go!

Charles
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

I'm past mid 70's so I understand the eyesight issue.
Anyway the switch it self is labled not the car wire connector. I write wire colors on the side of the switch and then check the connector colorse when they mate.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Spider2081 beat me to it, as I was going to answer along the same lines. In answer to your question about rubber seals, which seals are we talking about? Door seals, weatherstripping (various places), turn signal housings, vent windows, etc? Without a picture or a pretty good description, it's going to be hard to suggest where they go.

-Bryan
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Thanks to both of you. I found the letters on the back of the light switch as you described. My car has definitely been messed about with because the wires are all in the wrong places, Over the weekend I plan to put them back to the as per your instructions and see what happens. I will upload some photos of the rubber seals in question. Enjoy your weekend.
18Fiatsandcounting

Very good, Charlie, let us know what you find out. As for the weekend, I will be flying to Europe for a couple weeks, should be fun. As the saying goes, "I shall return."

-Bryan
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Good morning,

Just a quick question. Is the connector behind the light switch a one time use only item? I tried to get the wires out this morning without any success. Is there a trick to getting them out? Hope you have a fun trip to Europe Bryan.

Charles
18Fiatsandcounting

Thanks Charlie. No, those connectors aren't one time use, but they can get very tight over the years. Unless the connector has been modified, you should be able to disconnect it by rocking back and forth. Takes two hands, and it can be challenging to reach behind the dash to do it. Grasp the connector bodies, not the wires.

-Bryan
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by davidbruce »

Charlie, if you are talking about removing the individual wires from the plastic holder. There is a small tab that sticks out of the flat side of the copper crimp on wire end . When the wire is installed in the holder this tab flares out and stops the wire from backing out when you push it on the switch. If you take a jewellers screwdriver or small o ring pick or the like, you can depress the tab into the crimp and at the same time pull the wire free. You will probably need to flare it back out before reassemly.
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

you can depress the tab into the crimp and at the same time pull the wire free.
Pulling on the wire while attempting to depress the locking tab may create an issue where the locking tab is jammed into the nylon of the connector shell. I like to push the wire into the connector while depressing the locking tab then pull on the wire after I feel the locking tab has been depressed. The locking tab catches a piece of the nylon connector that can not be seen so it takes some practice to get the hang of removing the pin. Looking at the make pins in a connector one can see the locking tab and how it functions. A similar tab is on the female pins but is visible. It is accessible through the slot in the connector at the back side of the female pin.
davidbruce
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by davidbruce »

Pulling on the wire while attempting to depress the locking tab may create an issue where the locking tab is jammed into the nylon of the connector shell. I like to push the wire into the connector while depressing the locking tab then pull on the wire after I feel the locking tab has been depressed. The locking tab catches a piece of the nylon connector that can not be seen so it takes some practice to get the hang of removing the pin. Looking at the make pins in a connector one can see the locking tab and how it functions. A similar tab is on the female pins but is visible. It is accessible through the slot in the connector at the back side of the female pin.
Thanks for the correction Dave. As usual, your response makes it easy for anyone to understand. :)
Dave Kelly
Campbell River B.C.
1973 Sport(sold)
1980 Spider 2000(project, aren't they all)
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, I have the connector off the switch and yes I can see the small tabs holding the spade connectors in place. I'll give it a go tomorrow getting the wires out with a fine screwdriver or blade My car came from Florida some 30 years ago and for some reason the blue and brown wire are on the H terminal and the green wire is crimped onto the black and white terminal letter L. I'm hoping that by putting them back to the factory setting my switch will not overheat. Not that I know much about it but it is obvious something is not right.

I mentioned my problem of weather seals. Today I had a good look at them and I figured out the trunk seal and a few of the others. I think I have located the seal that goes on the back of the motor just before the wiper panel. It looks like the seal should be glued in position. Is this correct and if so what kind of glue? Also the seal on the top of the windshield looks like it should be glued in place. Am I missing something?

Charlie
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024

Post by spider2081 »

keep in mind which cavities in the connector align with the terminals on the switch. the connector has more cavities than the switch has terminals. there shouldn't be a wire in a cavity that does not align with a switch terminal.
charlielucky

Post by charlielucky »

Hi, I tried using a very thin screwdriver to the the wire spades out but in the end I just gave a good tug on the blue and brown wire and it came out no problem. I Put the wires back in the factory position and now everything works perfectly. The connector is no longer overheating. Thanks again