Seat plastic trim

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Seat plastic trim

Post by Anbele »

I’m trying to replace my broken plastic trim on my passenger seat. I have a ‘79. The trim I’m trying to remove/replace is the piece behind the big knob that allows the back of the seat to be tilted. I got as far as removing the big plastic circular cap pressure fitted in the big knob. But I cannot figure out how to remove this big knob. Any ideas?
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Seat plastic trim

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

At least for the early years, the mechanism for the big knob is pressed together at the factory and doesn't look like it's meant to come apart. Perhaps the '79 and newer ones are similar.

Is the metal part of your release lever is OK, and you just need a new plastic knob on the end? Midwest-Bayless sells replacement plastic knobs. If the metal release lever is bent up or otherwise not working, you might need a whole new mechanism.

-Bryan
Anbele
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000 CS2

Re: Seat plastic trim

Post by Anbele »

It is the big plastic piece sitting directly behind the big knob…and yes, I’m afraid you’re correct. It does look like it has been pressed in place by factory tools—not by Giuseppe. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a whole new piece.
Thanks Bryan—as always.