Rear Light parts

Gotta love that wiring . . .
jeff1
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider 124

Rear Light parts

Post by jeff1 »

Two issues on the rear lights:

1. One of the tail lights isn't working on my car. The bulb is fine, but the socket (the black one in the image below, which appears to have been replaced at some point in the past) is very corroded. I tried using some sandpaper to clean up the contacts, as well as some contact cleaner, but was unable to get it working.

I was hoping to not have to replace the entire light assembly (which are surprisingly pricey), and have been searching for just a socket replacement, but haven't had much luck finding anything. Does anyone know if something like this might be available? The original ones were riveted in, so I don't think they are really meant to be a user replaceable component, but it looks like this is a generic part that might be available for other car models.

2. There are supposed to be two hollow bolts in each that hold the lenses on, but each only has one. Is there any chance these are available separately? It works with only one, but the lenses aren't super secure, and I'm thinking one of these might pop off at some point.

18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Rear Light parts

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

jeff1 wrote:The original ones were riveted in, so I don't think they are really meant to be a user replaceable component, but it looks like this is a generic part that might be available for other car models.
Jeff, I've run into the same situation as you on the sockets, and I just drill them out. The two plastic halves of the socket covers come apart, and then you can clean up the metal lugs. And the metal bulb socket ring can then be taken out and cleaned. I have a round wire brush wheel for a drill, exactly the right size to run up and down the inside of the socket to clean it up. Bend the tangs on the socket so the bulb is held firmly. On the metal contact for the bulb center contact, the copper strip is just crimped on, and it can have a pretty poor connection. I clean this copper strip up with Brasso or the like, and then solder it to its steel lug. Just use a very thin coat of solder or else the top plastic half of the cover won't close properly. Or just file down any excess solder.

On the missing hollow screw, used tail light assemblies come up on Ebay every so often, and sometimes pretty cheap if there not in very good condition. Just make sure they have the hollow screw. I would think the usual Fiat parts vendors would have some of these, but I don't see them on their websites so you might have to call. In a pinch, you could cut a piece of aluminum rod to the right length and drill/tap the appropriate threads down the center.

-Bryan