radio wiring w/o power windows?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Barjavel
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat 2000

radio wiring w/o power windows?

Post by Barjavel »

I'm trying to figure out the wiring for a replacement radio in my 1981 Fiat 2000. The wiring from the Fiat loom side of the radio connector doesn't match up to the wiring diagram on Mirafori. I think it's because my car doesn't have power windows, while the Mirafori diagram is for a car with power windows.

Does anyone know of a wiring diagram for the radio circuit that might match what I have? If it's helpful, the six-pin connector to the radio in my car has a double white-black wire, and single wire in purple/black, gray/black, purple, brown, and gray.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Re: radio wiring w/o power windows?

Post by spider2081 »

Pretty sure the
Double white/black is ground
Brown is power from from the ignition switch. It is not a fused power.
Gray/black and violet/black are left speaker
solid gray and solid violet are Right speaker

your colors match the wire diagram in the Fiat manual titled "Spider 2000 electrical Diagnostic Manual 1980-1981"
This manual should also be in the library
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

Looks like Spider2081 beat me to the answer (durn his hide), but I think he is correct:

Grey and Violet (purple) are the right speaker.
Grey/Black and Violet/White are the left speaker.
Brown is switched power. If you have a memory function on the new radio, you'll have to wire in a source of +12V that is on all the time, otherwise you'll loose your station presets and such when you turn the car off.
Double White/Black is ground. Check with an ohmmeter to be sure.

Note that there is no wire for a power antenna. If you want one, you'll have to wire that in separately.

There is actually a standard of sorts for modern radios: Red/Yellow/Orange are power for various modes, black is ground, white and grey are front speakers, green and purple are rear speakers, and blue is power antenna. But of course it appears that Fiat did not follow this...

-Bryan
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Note that there is no wire for a power antenna. If you want one, you'll have to wire that in separately.
I think if the car has the radio connector it came pre wired for a power antenna to be installed forward of the gas filler.
The 2 wires colors are light blue /white and dark blue/red They are in the area of the radio connector. The other end of the wires are behind the trunk carpet driver side a little forward of the filler pipe. The power antenna switch was similar to the power window switches and was installed above the radio in the center radio console.