Clock repair or replacement options

Gotta love that wiring . . .
reidyyz
Your car is a: 1976 Fiat Spider 1800

Clock repair or replacement options

Post by reidyyz »

So my clock, like many others, no longer ticks, or tocks. I've opened it up to find the motor failed and two gear axles broken (gears floating around housing freely) is there anywhere I can get parts? Because I'm looking at, based on a few friends comments and phone calls, over $125 just to start for it to go in the shop and I'd rather fix it as option 1. Or option 2 is a replacement of the guts and keep the housing and face. So my question is actually geography based: is there a supplier of parts or full replacement guts within Southern Ontario, preferably the GTA? Any experiences with this? Thx
Henry

1976 Spider 1800
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Clock repair or replacement options

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I don't think parts are readily available for these clocks, but used clocks are fairly common on Ebay or the like. Many people just get a working used clock rather than try to repair the old one. Another option is to buy a modern clock movement and install it using your existing clock face, hands, and housing.

-Bryan
TX82FIAT
Your car is a: 82 Fiat Spider 2000 CSO

Post by TX82FIAT »

VDO makes an clock that fits right in the slot and wires up quickly. Its not a veglia but looks pretty good. It depends on your preference for originality of function/durability.
Buon giro a tutti! - enjoy the ride!

82 Fiat Spider 2000
03 BMW M3
07 Chevy Suburban
reidyyz

Post by reidyyz »

Thanks. I found a place in North York (Toronto)
that has possible guts to fit in the housing. We'll see what they say, can do and cost. I'll post my final findings for future generations.

Henry
Henry

1976 Spider 1800
reidyyz

Post by reidyyz »

Thanks for all the input, I'm going to go the way of the new aftermarket, like VDO or similar, but there's no rush. To provide closure to this topic, no, the repair shop I mentioned did not work out, not at all.
Henry

1976 Spider 1800