1981 Headlight relay installation

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
rjkoop
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

1981 Headlight relay installation

Post by rjkoop »

Finally getting around to installing this kit...

https://autoricambi.us/headlight-relay-kit-1979-85/

What's the best spot to mount the relays? I have 2 unused (not sure what they were for?) bolts in the driver's side fender.

They are larger than the holes in the tabs on the relays. Should I drill larger holes in the tabs on the relays or mount directly into another spot on the fender? If anyone has installed this and has a picture that would be awesome! :D

Richard
dinghyguy
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1981 spider

Re: 1981 Headlight relay installation

Post by dinghyguy »

i used the same bolts, and drilled out the mounting tabs slightly.
I also scrounged some old fiat connectors so i could make the wiring connections plug into the existing wiring connectors. That way I didnt have to cut anything and can put back to stock if i ever want to. A bit more wire required cause i had to run from the relays to the pass side headlight connector but i liked it better than cutting into the wiring harness.
One of the best mods you can make to the car.

dinghyguy
1981 Red Spider "Redbob"
1972 blue Volvo 1800ES "Bob"
1998 Red Ford Ranger
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Thanks.

Actually I just finished the install... and saw this post too late. :?

Here's where I mounted it (beside/above those bolts)...

I used the self-tapping screw for the ground. Hopefully that will be ok. And I didn't have to cut any wiring. Just plug and play. Guess my kit is slightly different.

I'll test it in a few days. We're getting snow tomorrow in Ottawa. :evil: and I don't have the battery in the car yet.

Richard
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I used the self-tapping screw for the ground
Although it is common to see sheet metal screws used to make the ground connection for an electric circuit a better practice is to use machine thread screw or bolt. I would use on of those 2 studs welded to the fender well for the ground. First clean off the paint around the bolt then put on a Star washer then the ring terminal then a flat washer then a lock washer and lastly the nut. Sheet metal screws can loosen in time reducing the quality of the ground connection.
rjkoop

Post by rjkoop »

Makes a lot of sense. I'll test to make sure it's working and switch it over. Thanks for the detailed info on how to do it.

Richard