Seat back bracing

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
greenspider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI manual

Seat back bracing

Post by greenspider »

I’m preparing to reupholster my front seats and would like to reinforce the seat backs while they’re at bare frame. Does anyone know of a welder in the SF Bay Area with experience or capable of doing this? Chris at Fiatplus charges $400 per seat back, which I’m sure is concours but beyond my budget. I recall seeing photos of cross bracing and tube bracing. Which is better? I suppose I could show examples to a good welder but I was looking for a recommendation of someone who may have done this before. Any leads would be appreciated. Bryan, Geo, Steiny? Thanks Greenspider.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Seat back bracing

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

greenspider wrote:I’m preparing to reupholster my front seats and would like to reinforce the seat backs while they’re at bare frame. Does anyone know of a welder in the SF Bay Area with experience or capable of doing this? Chris at Fiatplus charges $400 per seat back, which I’m sure is concours but beyond my budget. I recall seeing photos of cross bracing and tube bracing. Which is better? I suppose I could show examples to a good welder but I was looking for a recommendation of someone who may have done this before. Any leads would be appreciated. Bryan, Geo, Steiny? Thanks Greenspider.
Hi Greeny, I have to ask, what is wrong with your seats? Are some of the welds broken on the seat back, or something else? I'm in the process of "refurbishing" the seats in my '69 spider, and the issue is usually that the foam is all crumbly, not that the metal frame is goofy. In other words, the metal frames in my seat are fine, but it's the foam and padding and outer vinyl that needs work. Which I'm working on.

How about yours?

-Bryan
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Post by bobplyler »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote: Hi Greeny, I have to ask, what is wrong with your seats? Are some of the welds broken on the seat back, or something else? I'm in the process of "refurbishing" the seats in my '69 spider, and the issue is usually that the foam is all crumbly, not that the metal frame is goofy. In other words, the metal frames in my seat are fine, but it's the foam and padding and outer vinyl that needs work. Which I'm working on.

How about yours?

-Bryan
The seats were changed in 79. They weren't as strong, and can develop a lean, especially if you just reach back to raise the top.

Vickauto says they will fix it.
https://www.vickauto.com/FIAT-PARTS/FIA ... -50-1322-R
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

bobplyler wrote:The seats were changed in 79. They weren't as strong, and can develop a lean, especially if you just reach back to raise the top.

Vickauto says they will fix it.
https://www.vickauto.com/FIAT-PARTS/FIA ... -50-1322-R
Thanks, Bob, good to know. I dd figure out that you can set up the seatbacks with an intentional inward or outward lean, by setting up the two hinges so they are out of sync with each other as far as the connector rod between them.

Useful for those of us who are into, "digging the scene with the gangsta lean".... :D

-Bryan
greenspider
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000 FI manual

Post by greenspider »

Vicks looks like a great option. My 1980 driver’s seat had the g-lean when I purchased the car mid-80s. Years ago a friend tried to weld back the mounting nuts but made it even worse as it cracked and ripped out the sheet metal. I found an excellent replacement on eBay and plan to do it properly now that I’m presumably wiser. Thanks, Greeny