Getting handbrake to work properly

Maintenance advice to keep your Spider in shape.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Getting handbrake to work properly

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

OK, folks, I hoisted up the rear of my '69 spider this afternoon to figure out why the handbrakes were not working all that great. I had just rebuilt or replaced everything (calipers, pads, compensator, lines, etc) a few months ago, and while the handbrake sorta worked, it wouldn't hold the car on any significant incline.

What I noticed was that, even with the handbrake lever released, the handbrake actuator arm on each caliper was well over midway through its travel, so pulling up the handbrake lever only moved it that last 20% or so. In addition, the adjusting nut on the yoke between the lever pull rod and the cable was almost all the way at the end of its travel.

OK, so it appears that the self-adjusting mechanism inside the rear brake pistons was not doing its job. Here's the trick I found and maybe you all know this and it's common knowledge, but I don't recall seeing it in any manuals or forums.

Loosen the adjusting nut on the yoke for the cable to lever linkage so that the actuator levers on the calipers are fully released. Then, sitting in the car, alternately pump the brake pedal and firmly pull up/release the handbrake lever. Do this many times, perhaps for about a minute or two or three. Yes, it gets boring. :(

After I did this, I found that the rear calipers were pretty snug against the pads, even with the handbrake off. I'm thinking that alternating between the brake pedal and the handbrake slowly moves the adjusting mechanism inside the piston, getting it properly positioned. The key to this adjustment is having the handbrake cable fairly loose before you do this. The last step is to tighten the adjusting nut on the yoke in the center so that the handbrake locks up the rear wheel after 3 or 4 clicks and the wheel spins freely when released. And voila: my handbrake now works as it should, or at least significantly better.

-Bryan
tima01864
Patron 2021
Patron 2021
Your car is a: 1983 FIAT Pininafarina Spider 2000

Re: Getting handbrake to work properly

Post by tima01864 »

The manual does state to slacken the cable when you replace pads otherwise the handbrake becomes ineffective. You have me thinking to drive the car around the block before tightening the cable.
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Re: Getting handbrake to work properly

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

tima01864 wrote:The manual does state to slacken the cable when you replace pads otherwise the handbrake becomes ineffective. You have me thinking to drive the car around the block before tightening the cable.
Yes, thanks, and that appears to be one key point. The other is that repeatedly pumping the brakes while operating the handbrake lever up and down (with the cable fairly loose as in key point #1) appears to actuate the self-adjusting mechanism.

I do agree that driving the car for a while before doing the final tightening of the cable is a good idea. Same thing with bleeding the brakes after rebuilding the braking system. I bleed it once, drive it for a while, then bleed again a month or so later.

-Bryan