Antenna

Gotta love that wiring . . .
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Antenna

Post by SteinOnkel »

Hello,

my car has a hole drilled on the rear driver's side quarter panel. I think an antenna wants to go there. At least, that's what I'm using to fill it.

There's so many different spots for antennas on these cars, it's weird.

Anyway, I was browsing around and came across this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-Telesco ... SwHHxfzgDF

Could that be the original antennas that were fitted to these cars?

Thanks
Steiny
aj81spider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1974 Fiat 124 Spider

Re: Antenna

Post by aj81spider »

It's possible. I had a manual one like that when I bought my car. I got rid of it and put an electric telescoping antenna that trips when I turn the radio on because I didn't want to keep pulling it up by hand.

Ironically, except for testing it, I've never actually put the antenna up as I don't use the radio when I drive the Fiat!
A.J.

1974 Fiat 124 Spider
2006 Corvette
1981 Spider 2000 (sold 2013 - never should have sold that car)
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

My thoughts are the same as A.J.'s. My various Fiats have had the antenna is just about every possible location, and my current '71 doesn't have any antenna (nor radio). Steiny, the antenna you showed in the link looks very similar to what I recall in the past, so it's probably pretty close.

I've also been known to use an appropriately sized and colored plastic body plug to cover the hole, but that would look kinda tacky on your newly repainted car.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:My thoughts are the same as A.J.'s. My various Fiats have had the antenna is just about every possible location, and my current '71 doesn't have any antenna (nor radio). Steiny, the antenna you showed in the link looks very similar to what I recall in the past, so it's probably pretty close.

I've also been known to use an appropriately sized and colored plastic body plug to cover the hole, but that would look kinda tacky on your newly repainted car.

-Bryan
That and the plastic plug is most likely black and the car white.

Which ironically, there is some funkery going on in the back as well. There are two holes drilled between the license plate and the tail light on either side. I have no idea what badges go there or if somebody tried to mount a different format license plate or what. I'm going to need to cover those with something. But they are in such a busy area, that nobody will notice.

Unfortunately, I forgot to weld shut the two holes in the fuel filler door. So now I get to hunt down an uuuugly "UNLEADED FUEL ONLY" badge. But, hey, it was stock from the factory so okay I guess.
scrapironchef
Your car is a: 79 Spider

Post by scrapironchef »

That unit looks very simliar to the antenna I have sitting in my parts bin.
18Fiatsandcounting

SteinOnkel wrote:There are two holes drilled between the license plate and the tail light on either side. I have no idea what badges go there
If they are what I think they are, the two holes on the right are for the "Sport Spider" insignia, and the two holes on the left are for the "1800" insignia. These holes are roughly 1/8", although likely metric. 3mm?

White window and door caulk, that's what you need at this point, Steiny! 8)

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

18Fiatsandcounting wrote:
SteinOnkel wrote:There are two holes drilled between the license plate and the tail light on either side. I have no idea what badges go there
If they are what I think they are, the two holes on the right are for the "Sport Spider" insignia, and the two holes on the left are for the "1800" insignia. These holes are roughly 1/8", although likely metric. 3mm?

White window and door caulk, that's what you need at this point, Steiny! 8)

-Bryan
Perhaps, but here's the weird thing: there are four holes in total. Two on the left and two on the right of the license plate frame. And they are lower than where the normal "Sport Spider" insignia go. Maybe those badges would fit though. Maybe I'll just get some white plastic nubbies to stuff in there instead of paying $60 per badge. We shall see.

Edit: it can't be those badges, because they are secured with three pins each. Also, a bag of 50 white nylon plugs is like $3.99 at home depot. I think the solution is becoming clear...
18Fiatsandcounting

Well, $3.99 is cheaper than caulk. Of course, I'm the cheapskate that fills small nail holes in drywall with toothpaste. Works pretty good, actually...you just need to use the paste and not the gel. :D

On the insignia, we're both partially right. The 1600 badge on my '71 has only two studs, but the "124 Sport" badge has three studs. My '69 does not have a 1438 badge, and so I'm guessing your 1800 badge has only two studs.

For what it's worth, the two insignia on both my cars are at the same level as the keyhole for the trunk release.

-Bryan
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Mmmhkay so here's the rear badges I have:

The Fiat Emblem. And the "1800" badge on the rear quarterpanel.

That's it.

But I've got 4 more wholes to plug. Really weird. I don't know if somebody put more Fiat badges there or what.
18Fiatsandcounting

Shoot us a picture and maybe one of us will recognize what the holes are for.

-Bryan
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

I thought the radio was like Air Conditioning and a dealer installed item so the antenna and location was up to the whimsy of the dealer especially if they did not install one of the radios available from Fiat. Every 1978 124 Spider I've looked at so far has been just like mine with the rubber duck antenna on the left rear between the fuel fill and wheel well unless someone changed it out to a chrome/stainless steel whip.

Owners manual only shows the blank cover where the optional radio would go.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

I thought the radio was like Air Conditioning and a dealer installed item so the antenna and location was up to the whimsy of the dealer especially if they did not install one of the radios available from Fiat.
I think this might be correct. I have seen a couple AM/FM radios with "Fiat" on the dial face plate. Also some of the cars were delivered with wiring for a dual speaker radio. the speaker wires were behind each map pocket. . There was a connector for the power ground and speaker wires located behind the Radio filler plate in the center dash. In the area of this connector was an antenna wire that was routed along with 2 wires for a power antenna to the driver side trunk area just forward of the fuel filler pipe..
I am guessing the presence of this factory installed antenna lead is the reason its common for radio antennae to be located driver side forward of the gas filler.
I don't use a radio for music, but have a play list on my phone that uses the radios USB input. That way we are not searching for stations. Now blue tooth connection to a music source would be a consideration in stead of radio. Hence no antenna is necessary.
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

I replaced the rubber duck and its mount on mine although I do not have a radio in it and have not for some years.

Perhaps some day I'll get around to that however other more important things have to take precedence some of which many might find hard to believe are more important than our Fiats. :wink: I know talk that might get one banned for life! Oh my :shock:
SteinOnkel

Post by SteinOnkel »

Awesome that one doesn't fit. The dpo drilled a 5/8" hole. 90% of all these antennas require at least 3/4.

Thanks for that, once again "local fiat guru" you hack.
DieselSpider

Post by DieselSpider »

SteinOnkel wrote:Awesome that one doesn't fit. The dpo drilled a 5/8" hole. 90% of all these antennas require at least 3/4.

Thanks for that, once again "local fiat guru" you hack.
Much easier to make a hole larger rather than smaller so easy fix in this case.