Camber and Caster

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Camber and Caster

Post by SteinOnkel »

Aloha,

so I've replaced most of the suspension components. Shocks, bushings, ball joints. And because I've got new tires, I figured it was time to get the alignment done. Car was pulling a bit anyways.

Now it drives perfectly straight, but I was looking at the sheet they give you at some of the non-adjustable values.

This isn't quite my area of expertise, but I was wondering if these values indicate some part or parts are still worn or incorrectly installed? Or is this just 42 year old manufacturing and this is all normal, can't anything be done about it?

Thanks

DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Camber and Caster

Post by DieselSpider »

The values in RED are all adjustable but require shims and expertise that many who have primarily only aligned vehicles with McPherson Struts do not have or do not want to take the time to deal with.
blazingspider
Your car is a: 1977 fiat spider

Re: Camber and Caster

Post by blazingspider »

Steiny,

The inner fenders on these cars are known to sag and buckle inward toward the engine compartment which will affect the ability to dial in camber and caster. There's more of an effect on camber than caster if I remember correctly. Check for bulges on both sides of the inner fenders about a foot or so out from the firewall.

As dieselspider mentioned, you adjust camber and caster with shims that are stacked in between the lower control arm pivot spindle and the cross member. There are 2 studs sticking out of the cross member that the lower control arm spindle is bolted to and this is where you stack the shims of varying thickness to obtain the desired results.

Adjusting camber can affect caster and visa versa so it's always a compromise between the 2. Hope this helps.