Removing rear shock bolts ('71 Spider)?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
Homegrown
Your car is a: 1971 Fiat Spider 1600

Removing rear shock bolts ('71 Spider)?

Post by Homegrown »

Hi all:
With the help of this forum's members the front suspension is done. Now I have moved to the rear and found it easy to get spring/shock free of the upper perch. However, I must be a complete idiot because I do not see how to remove the lower bolt. The nut is off, but the bolt won't budge (assume shock is original equip from 1971). It's as if the shock's lower bushing and bolt have fused. Even if I get it to turn, the bolt looks way too long to come out with the interference from the bulge that the lower rubber perch sits on. Even a drift didn't dislodge it with some whacks from a large hammer.

Any I missing something?

Thanks again for everyone's input. 30 years in a barn didn't do this Fiat any favors...MN tabs show 1989!
geospider
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1979 Spider 2000

Re: Removing rear shock bolts ('71 Spider)?

Post by geospider »

the simple approach; cut the bolt and then get a new one.
haven't done the rear in a while. but if the bolt is that bad, I would be getting a new one anyway, just get it out.
other option; spray a bunch of blaster on it a few ties and see if that will dislodge the crud.

Geo
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Hi,
Thanks for comment.
[Deleted]

Edit: I've added a picture of the bolt https://i.imgur.com/dwdNhze.jpg
The shocks have been cut off and I do not see how this bolt will come out. It hits the spring perch (rubber removed) immediately. Trying to get a new bolt in will face the same challenge. Any advice welcome!

Thanks
/K
toyfiats
Your car is a: 1981 Fiat Spider

Post by toyfiats »

Homegrown wrote:Hi,
Thanks for comment.
[Deleted]

Edit: I've added a picture of the bolt https://i.imgur.com/dwdNhze.jpg
The shocks have been cut off and I do not see how this bolt will come out. It hits the spring perch (rubber removed) immediately. Trying to get a new bolt in will face the same challenge. Any advice welcome!

Thanks
/K
The bracket that the shock is attached to is secured to the spring perch with two studs/nuts. If you look on the underside of the perch you should see two nuts. Remove those (can be a little tricky as there isn't much room and is at a slight angle) and the entire shock mount will come free. Then you can remove that long bolt. If the studs on the lower shock mount sheer off replacements are available.
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Hi toy'
Thanks. I was trying to figure out how to get a socket on there and gave up assuming they were not supposed to be removed. I'll have to see whether I can find a different, thinner-wall 13mm socket because I cannot reach the rear, driver side bolt with anything I have. Thanks for the response!
/K
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I happened to have my '71 spider up on jack stands, so I took a look. toyfiats has it right: The rectangular "channel bracket" that the bottom of the shock is attached to, is secured to the spring perch through 2 studs welded to the ends of this bracket, with the nuts for these underneath the perch. I could reach the rear 13mm nut with a standard 3/8" drive socket and a 6" extension, and while I could sorta get this socket setup on the front nut, it had to be angled due to the "trailing arm" (not sure of the correct term) being in the way, the 3 ft long rod that attaches from the bottom of the rear axle housing up to the body underside towards the front. For this front nut, I'd recommend a socket universal joint which will give you the angle you need.

Spray some penetrating fluid on these nuts, let sit for a few hours or overnight, and give it a go.

-Bryan
Homegrown

Post by Homegrown »

Hi,
Thanks all for input. I finally got the new shocks in, but I had to cheat. After hurting my neck trying to lay on my side and get a wrench onto that nut, I gave up removing the rear bolt. The front bolt came undone easily enough, so I 'lifted' the bracket high enough to move the shock bolt out. Not ideal, but I couldn't get anything onto the carrier nut Maybe if the metal brake line were removed something on a swivel would have worked. Anyhow, the new shocks are in!
18Fiatsandcounting
Your car is a: 1969 and 1971 124 spiders

Post by 18Fiatsandcounting »

I'm glad you were able to replace the shock.

You mentioned using a wrench, and that indeed might be hard to get at those nuts. Just for grins, I removed the nuts on my '71, cleaned them up, and put them back on. Took 10 minutes for both sides (the car was already up on jack stands), just using a run-of-the-mill Craftsman 13mm 3/8" drive socket, 6" extension, and ratchet. Oh, and a universal joint for the front nut.

-Bryan