Metallic vs. Solid paint ?

Keeping it sharp - paint, wax, detailing, etc.
Zoofly
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider

Metallic vs. Solid paint ?

Post by Zoofly »

I'm ready to paint my car. Sticking with the color it came in, Arancio 190. Orange. The car is painted in a solid orange. It had been repainted at one point. The last decision I need to make is do I paint it metallic or solid? I looked up the paint codes for 1978 and it says it was painted in metallic. I'm not sure what I think about having it painted metallic. Can anyone offer any insight into the pros and cons of metallic vs. solid paint?

https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_codes_fiat
2020 124 Spider Abarth
2019 Alpha Romeo Stelvio - sold
1977 Triumph Spitfire
2017 Fiat 124 Spider Classica - sold
1999 Jaguar XK8 - sold
1998 BMW Z3 - sold
1988 Pontiac Fiero - sold
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Re: Metallic vs. Solid paint ?

Post by DieselSpider »

There are many different levels of metallic so to me it depends on the size of the flakes and density. Keeping the metal mixed up to get an even finish can be a pain and if the flakes are large then you need a special gun to spray it. Paints with a lot of metal in them don't tend to last as long in sunny climates.
bobplyler
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1979 spider 2000

Post by bobplyler »

This car has the most amazing metal flake I've ever seen. Pictures don't do it justice.
https://www.museoalfaromeo.com/en-us/co ... guana.aspx
1979 Fiat Spider (since new)
2005 Lincoln LS (the wife's car)
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (daily driver)
1999 Honda Shadow VLX 600
1972 Grumman Traveller 5895L (long gone).
Jimb
Your car is a: 1985.5 Volumex

Post by Jimb »

Ahhh. brings back memories from many years ago when metal flake first became popular.

A 1956 T-Bird painted Gold metal flake...and it was chinky flakes...finished with several clear coats, each one hand rubbed.

Jim
Jimb

Post by Jimb »

Jimb wrote:Ahhh. brings back memories from many years ago when metal flake first became popular.

A 1956 T-Bird painted Gold metal flake...and it was chunky flakes...finished with several clear coats, each one hand rubbed.

Jim
Jimb

Post by Jimb »

woops...I only meant the change to the correct spelling for "chunky" but obviously I screwed up.
Jim
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Post by DRUMMOND »

Hi Zoofly

Metallic paints are different to solids this way:

When you spray with metallic paint you do have to choose the flake size, my opinion smaller is better.
Spraying metallic is harder than solid (so more $$ for the paint job) You have to make sure the paint is applied in one direction consistently or you will get a refraction problems.
Metallic paint is harder to repair than solid color as the flakes need to follow the original spray direction.
A good metallic paint job is 10 times as pretty as a solid paint job!

There is a price for beauty! :)

PS. I have a beautiful metallic blue on my Spider
architect
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat Spider

Post by architect »

A few cars back.. I had an experienced buddy paint my car (basically for beer $). He painted airplanes everyday.

I asked to throw in a little bit of metal flake.. he didn't know about the directional pattern, and pretty much ruined the paint job. Like mentioned above, find someone that knows how to do it and be ready to pay a little more $$
78 Fiat 124
DieselSpider
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider with Isuzu Turbo Diesel

Post by DieselSpider »

architect wrote:A few cars back.. I had an experienced buddy paint my car (basically for beer $). He painted airplanes everyday.

I asked to throw in a little bit of metal flake.. he didn't know about the directional pattern, and pretty much ruined the paint job. Like mentioned above, find someone that knows how to do it and be ready to pay a little more $$
Yes they can be a pain to deal with. The last one I did came out the best and I feel it was because I did not care and was not so tense about the outcome. It was just my own work truck and I got some Forest Green Paint for a bargain because it did not come out right and the automotive paint store was selling up botched paint mixes for a fraction of their original price. I got a full gallon of metal flake paint with a gallon of reducer for around $35. If probably helped that it was the finer sized flakes. It was the higher grade Ditzler Paint too and lasted for years.
AndyVAS
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat 124 Spider

Post by AndyVAS »

The metallic paint really pops in the sun. I'm a fan. That said, on an old car it is best to keep the flake on the mild side. Put in the minimum amount and be sure it is very fine. It's one of those things where a little goes a long way. Done right you'll hardly notice the metallic quality to the paint but it will make the car stand out that extra bit.
Andy Phillips
Vick Auto - Technician, Performance Engine Builder & PFI Developer (with ITBs)
http://www.vickauto.com
Stock parts or Performance parts we've got what you need.
wetminkey
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1979 2000 Spider

Post by wetminkey »

I agree with Andy. Fine metallic flakes,...
I also am not afraid of a bit of extra work, so I like to paint with the urethanes,...and base coat/clear coat. More coats than single stage, but the clear protects the color, and the resulting paint job lasts longer,...
If ever it needs attention, the clear can be refinished, or touched up.
Todd.
1988 Mazda RX-7
1979 Fiat Spider 2000
1978 3/4 ton Chev 4x4 P/U "FRANKENTRUCK"
1976 Camaro
1972 VW Superbeetle
1969 Ford F100
1968 Mustang coupe