Bent Panhard Rod?

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
jacksplace

Bent Panhard Rod?

Post by jacksplace »

This is my first Fiat and the panhard rod has a crimp and a bend in the center. I believe this rod should be straight. However, the way it's crimped looks like it could be intentional and it could be bent to allow clearance for the differential filler plug. Any comments?
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

if i recall, the later cars came like that
pastaroni

Post by pastaroni »

some alignment shops will bend the panhard rod to align the diff. im not sure yet if this is appropriate... but its not the way I do it.
jacksplace

Post by jacksplace »

Thanks all for the input. I suspect the bend is intentional. I have a book on order that might shed some light. I have a couple books on the Fiat 124 Spider but they don't show the panhard rod clearly or the don't include in their description.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

some of the rods have a flat in the middle and are bent. If you're not sure, measue the rear axle from side to side and see if it's centered
jacksplace

Post by jacksplace »

Mark:

Thanks for the input. I believe I just solved my problem with an auction on EBay! Daytona Spider Import Auto Parts has two panhard rods up for auction. The one for up to 1978 is straight. The one for 1979 and later is bent. I have a 1978 but it must be a late '78 because I'm running into things that are for the later cars but fit mine (i.e. the full dash cap). I'm learning.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

as with most imports from that era, model year was really for the US and they all made running changes. VIN numbers are required for getting the right parts and Fiat was no different. Mid 78 starting morphing into 79 models with door handles, rear axles, etc