Rear light LED conversion DIY

Gotta love that wiring . . .
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: Fiat Spyder 2000 1980 Pininfarina

Rear light LED conversion DIY

Post by DRUMMOND »

I had a set of rear lights that had all the reflectors dull up and corrode with exposure to the air from a cracked lens. So I decided to do a LED conversion and see how it worked out. here is the photo story
Cut out the lens with a hot knife
cut me some copper bars
then some soldering
some shiny aluminum tape
rubbed with some metal polish
secured in the shiny lens
Polished rear lens and all back together
Wow baby look at the light!!
they work amazingly well
vandor
Your car is a: 1971 124 Spider

Re: Rear light LED conversion DIY

Post by vandor »

Nice job!
What you have to be careful of is that your running light is not too bright. Normally the brake light (and turn signal) is 4x brighter than the running light. If the running light is too bright it will bother other motorists, and it will also make the brake light hard to notice, as there is already a bright light lit next to it.
Some new cars have the turn signal inside a round brake light, and it is virtually impossible to see the turn signal when the brake lights are on.
Csaba
'71 124 Spider, much modified
'17 124 Abarth, silver
http://italiancarclub.com/csaba/
Co-owner of the best dang Fiat parts place in town
klweimer
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by klweimer »

Good stuff!
TStark
Your car is a: 1975 Spider

Post by TStark »

Very good!

Speaking of safety, I added a third brake light that clips to the forward lip of the trunk lid. Glued a very thin led marker light to a short segment of rubber edge molding, it is very indiscrete.

It can be removed and tucked into the trunk in a moment, for photos , meets and such.

I think its saved my butt a few times already.
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by DRUMMOND »

Yes Vandor you are correct
i did not show all the lenses. The running light has less leds than the rest, from a constant on and heat output issue as well as light output

good point

here is the running light
Here is the brake light
Coolbreeze
Your car is a: 1980 Fiat Spider 2000

Post by Coolbreeze »

Thank you for your illuminating post. Is there a downside to replacing a rear turn signal bulb (1073, I believe) with an LED substitute? I see that substitutes may be purchased at: https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle ... &year=1980

I am concerned that the LED device will not draw enough current to cause the flasher unit to work.
George Tinkham
1980 Fiat Spider 2000
1984 Moto Guzzi V65Sp
1964 BMW R69S
1956 Harley-Davidson KHK
1948 Indian Chief
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

Coolbreeze wrote:Thank you for your illuminating post. Is there a downside to replacing a rear turn signal bulb (1073, I believe) with an LED substitute? I see that substitutes may be purchased at: https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle ... &year=1980

I am concerned that the LED device will not draw enough current to cause the flasher unit to work.
There is. They completely suck.

We did this on our school bus (turn, running and brake lights). Immediately took them back to the store, they were awful. How they are allowed to sell those is beyond me.

Opted to replace the entire light assembly with a DOT-Approved LED version. Anything else and you are asking for trouble.
DRUMMOND
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Post by DRUMMOND »

Hi Coolbreeze

As long as you have one incandescent light in the indicator circuit, you should not need a resistor inline to operate the flasher unit with any led's.
if you are running all led's, you will need to change the flasher unit to an electronic one and a resistor inline for each circuit (2)
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

Is there a downside to replacing a rear turn signal bulb
This is just my opinion:
I the lens for car lights are designed to work with either incandescent or LED type bulbs. Incandescent bulbs radiate light in all directions and the light is carried by the lens material making the entire lens illuminate. LED light is more directional or straight line. I think that is one of the reasons modern cars with LED tail lights use numerous LED's to make up one assembly and if the light is to be seen from more than one angle the LED's will be installed accordingly.
Simply replacing an incandescent bulb with an LED bulb might increase the visibility directly behind the car but not as much from the sides. Some LED replacement bulbs are comprised multiple LED's at different angles making the light pattern more like an incandescent. I believe the LED light ray passes through t he lens with out illuminating it thus making the LED replacement brighter in some angles and less visible from other angles.
Again I am not a light engineer and this is my observation/opinion
SteinOnkel
Your car is a: 1978 124 Spider 1800

Post by SteinOnkel »

I love how nobody cares about the legality of any of this.

Don't modify your lights, unless the new components are DOT Approved or you have a trust fund specifically for when people sue your pants off after they rear-ended you because they couldn't see. Especially in a low, two brake light car like a Fiat 124 that's already invisible by modern standards, this is asking for trouble.

Go ahead and switch to LED turn signals. Nobody will be able to see you use them, but hey at least you won't have to swap bulbs as often :D