5 pt harness mounting

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
josh76

5 pt harness mounting

Post by josh76 »

Hello all,

Anyone have any experience mounting the lap belts for a 5pt harness?

My plan was to take the current mounting points, but to add a z shaped plate(s) that would be welded to the rocker box and transmission tunnel. These would be used to mount the lap belt bolt end plates in double shear.

Here is the problem that I have run across, while trying to locate the proper bolt size (I don’t have the original belts) I dug through my bucket of old bolts. Well I found one that threaded in, so I went to the hardware store to pick up a new grade 8.8 bolts. I dug around in the metric section did not find anything that quite fit, so I settled on some 12-1.5mm bolts.

Long story short, for what ever reason it seems like the bolt holes are 7/16 – 20 as unlikely as that is I am looking to confirm that or determine the actual bolt size.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

-Josh
Mario

Post by Mario »

Nobody else answered, so I'll take a shot. I believe all cars sold in the U. S. have 7/16 - 20 seat belt threads regardless of where they were made. This is either a government safety regulation or the manufaturess all got together ( yea right).
josh76

Post by josh76 »

I found this regarding canada, so I think you might be right:

(11) Seat belt assemblies designed for installation in motor vehicles equipped with seat belt anchorages that do not require anchorage nuts, plates or washers need not have the hardware described in subsection (10), but shall have 7/16-20 UNF-2A or 1/2-13 UNC-2A attachment bolts or equivalent hardware.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/acts-regulations/GE ... .V8NUME.N4

THANKS!