How do you find the right relay and check it?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
noKYspider

How do you find the right relay and check it?

Post by noKYspider »

I'm trying to work through finding the cause of my alternator problems before deciding whether or not I need to replace the alternator. You can see more about the problem here http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=20352 Just FYI, all of this seemed to have come about after I installed my new radio so I'm not convinced the alternator is dead.

This morning I took the wires off the alternator, cleaned them with a wire brush, and tightened them but the battery charge light is still on. I read in a different post http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic ... ck#p152784 that there is a relay and I would like to check that. That being said, I don't know how to figure out which relay I need to check or how to check it. If you have any advice I'd appreciate it.
noKYspider

Re: How do you find the right relay and check it?

Post by noKYspider »

After looking them over it might be best to just replace all of them. Some were really corroded when I pulled them to check how many pins were on the part and one lost it's cap when I pulled on it. The inside of that one was pretty dirty. I looked on Pep Boys and AutoZone's sites but I'm not 100% sure of what I need to get. Do any of the vendors sell a relay replacement pack or anything like that?
noKYspider

Re: How do you find the right relay and check it?

Post by noKYspider »

I went to AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts today and got most of the 8 relays I needed. It took a bit of searching but we got 3 of the 5 pronged relays and 2 of the 4 pronged relays. I couldn't find the 3 pronged relay so I'll have to look around online to see if I can find it. After replacing them the charge light went off completely, which I guess is good. I don't really notice anything else beneficial from replacing them. They didn't fix my windshield wipers, horn, or make the turn signals blink any faster. What I do notice now is the lights have to be on for the car to run. Hopefully the battery is charging again but only time will tell. The wiring in this car is odd at best.