Reverse switch wiring

Gotta love that wiring . . .
babu2001

Reverse switch wiring

Post by babu2001 »

I've got enough of people telling me tht my reverse lights don't work. I've checked the reverse switch of the transmission and the problem was obvious. The wires were torn, long time ago it seems. A tie wrap was still there. I think to avoid wires and flex joint to be more intimate... :lol: I can repair the wires, the switch works, but I don't know where to hook them. I didn't saw any other wires. Better to get it from the shifter area? Thanks in advance.
124ADDHE
Your car is a: 1974 Spider Amalgamation with C40 Solex

Re: Reverse switch wiring

Post by 124ADDHE »

If you PM me you email, i can send a copy of the wiring diagrams, what year is your car?
Regards,
Keith Cox
1973 124 Spider
1973 John Deere 500c backhoe
1987 Jaguar VDP
2013 passat tdi
2015 cherokee
124cso

Post by 124cso »

GEEEESSS ! It's a simple make and break switch ! Basic as !
narfire
Your car is a: 1980 124 spider

Post by narfire »

The wires come down from the trans. tunnel. On mine (80) there is a clip there for the wires that are hard mounted into the switch on the passenger side of the tranny.
80 FI spider
72 work in progress
2017 Golf R ( APR Stg. 1)
2018 F350 crew long box
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

Depending on the year of your car, there may be two switches on your tranny. One is reverse lights, the other is part of the emissions system. Consult a wiring diagram to make sure you re-connect the proper switch. (If you get it backwards, the back-up lights will come on when you shift into 4th or 5th, which would be rather amusing to someone following you.) :shock:
babu2001

Post by babu2001 »

I know it sounds simple 124cso but the previous owner didn't know very well electricity and I prefer to use to existing wiring instead of installing new one. If it ain't broken... But the P.O. was delirious I think. He cut off the reverse wiring from the trunk. Even between the taillights! For what purpose should somebody do that? I've to redone some of the electrics. Now it is working but wow, how close the wires pass by the driving shaft! :?
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

Babu, don't mind 124cs0; someone pee'd in his cheerios. :lol:
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!