Front Shocks

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
yap123

Front Shocks

Post by yap123 »

Howdy,

I have about 3,000 miles my front tires. The other edges are cupping. When I run my hand (from front to rear direction) around the other edge, they're bumpy from the treads cupping.

Does this mean I need new shocks? My alignment seems fine. I don't have any pulling left or right.

The rear shocks have already been replaced.

Thanks,

Clint
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

sounds like an alignment issue to me.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

I'd check for unbalanced tires, worn suspension parts or bad wheel bearings. The bouncing or vibration of the tire usually causes cupping.
yap123

Post by yap123 »

My new tires have 3,000 miles and were balanced when purchased.

How do I check for bad bearing?

Will bad front bushings cause cupping?

I thought bad shocks would cause cupping?
racydave

Post by racydave »

If the edges are "feathering", I would suspect an alignment issue, or related component issue. Wheel bearings are checked with the wheel off the ground, ck for any extra play. They could just be loose. Putting a stand under the lower control arm and setting the vehicle soley on the stands will allow you to check the ball joints. Leave the tire on, and check the play up and down by grabbin the tire at 12 and 6 oclock. Hands at 9 and 3 oclock will assist in checkin the steering linkages. 8)
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Worn shocks and springs could cause it. I just lumped everything suspension related together. Like racydave says, feathering or edge wearing is an alignment issue but cupping usually points to suspension problems.
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

bad lower a arm bushings will allow the a arm to slide while the vehicle is in motion, creating the inner edges to wear

voice of experience
yap123

Post by yap123 »

What's the difference between cupping and feathering?
mdrburchette

Post by mdrburchette »

Cupping is when the tread has raised spots and flat spots. Feathering is when the edge of the tire is wearing.
yap123

Post by yap123 »

I was incorrect with my description. My tires are not cupping. The edges are raised going in the direction from the front toward the rear of the car. If I run my hand in the direction from the rear toward the front, the edges are smooth.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

that is feathering, usually caused by the tires being dragged instead of rolling. the alignment is off, could be caused by worn bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, cracked crossmember, sagging, etc