Starter quionest

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dulcimerbob

Starter quionest

Post by dulcimerbob »

I have a 76 and had a new starter installed less than a year ago.Started fine . Then one day it just stopped . No click nada.
I took the car to garage and they put it up on a lift and then grounded across the solenoid and the starter spun would not engage bad bendix? Before this I took out my switch and put 12v to the red wire and still nothing . I am getting a replacement for the starter and another switch this week. What upgrades should I do while I have everything apart ? Thanks
dulcimerbob

Re: Starter question

Post by dulcimerbob »

starter Question :oops:
2ndwind
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Re: Starter quionest

Post by 2ndwind »

Bob,
I'm just figuring this all out as you can see in my thread below. Did you put 12V directly to the push-on connector at the solenoid. I think direct power to the main lug will cause the starter and/or the solenoid to spin without engaging. As others have pointed out the Bendix CAN go bad. I also show the red and brown wire connectors below the alternator. These have to be well-connected, soldered, or (the red one) used in the relay fix.

http://www.fiatspider.com/f08/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13112
Steve
1982 Red Spider 2000
1919 Old Town Sailing Canoe
dulcimerbob

Post by dulcimerbob »

so are you saying my starter may not be bad ? How has the relay mod worked out ?
azruss
Your car is a: 80 Fiat 2000 FI

Post by azruss »

sounds like a solenoid problem, not a starter problem.
If you apply 12V to the bottom lug on the solenoid and the starter spins, then you starter is ok. If you apply 12V to the top lug nothing should happen until you apply 12V to the small wire. this should engage the starter and the bendix drive. If either fails to happen, then the solenoid has a problem. Dont throw it out, the solenoids are rebuildable.
dulcimerbob

Post by dulcimerbob »

Thanks to you guys I found the problem. For some reason the red wire from the switch was not carrying 12v. I checked the switch voltage and had 12v. Ran a jumper from the switch to the solenoid trem for the red wire and the car started. I ran a new wire rather than mess with the harness and Bob's your uncle as the Brits say. On the road again! :D
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

Glad you got 'er going,Bob.Did either of the switches I brought you work?
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !