'80 Spider 2000

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Paingrin

'80 Spider 2000

Post by Paingrin »

Hi. Just joined the site. I've had my Spider for a couple years and am just now getting it road-ready. For history I tell you that I've replaced the starter, alternator and I have a brand new battery. The problem is this. The car starts fine, idles okay but when I step on the brake or turn the lights on the car dies. I've checked for bad grounds, and replaced quite a bit of wiring as we all know what the electrical systems are like in these cars.
So does anyone have any ideas what could cause this? I've tried to have a mechanic look at it but no one in my area will even touch my car! So i'm forced to do most of the electrical work myself.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

you're going to need a voltmeter to do much in the way of testing, but just for starters I'd remove all of the fuses and clean the fuse holders, they tend to get loose and corroded. Also check the connections at the ignition switch harness, they also tend to get loose and the high resistance can cause scorched terminals
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

Wow, another spider in Jacksonville? Where the hell are they all coming from? I think I have seen...two and everytime I do I am not driving my car!

My first inclination would be a grounding problem...have you tried going through James Seabolt's electrical restoration guide?

http://users.chartertn.net/jseabolt/elect.htm

Its very handy and may bring up some things you haven't looked at yet.

I have a good local area mechanic you can call, see PM.
Paingrin

Post by Paingrin »

I actually have used James Seabolt's page and I found it pretty helpful. I restored most of my grounds like he describes.
Working on the car today my feeling is that the alternator is probably bad or the voltage regulator. I'll need to take it off and bench test it I guess.
I should also note that a lot of the wiring in my car was already rerouted, replaced or missing when I got the car. So the electrical diagrams aren't much help.
Oh, and that's a good idea about the fuses. I've been meaning to replate the fuse holder for a while now.
ironchef

Post by ironchef »

Sounds to me like a short on one of the tailight lines. When you route power through the offending wire the voltage drop in the whole system will kill the engine. First step is to put a voltmeter in place and watch for the drop. I suspect that whatever is going on is not going through your fuse block or a fuse would blow.

Do the brakelights come on when you step on the pedal? If not, check these lines.

Do the turn signals work?

Tail lights?

Use an ohmmeter to check the hot side of the line back from the bulb sockets, a short will show as O resistance when the lights are switched off. When you find the bad one, just follow it back connector to connector untii you find the offender.
spider2081
Patron 2024
Patron 2024
Your car is a: 1981 Spider 2000

Post by spider2081 »

How are you making out with your problem, If you keep us up on your progress we can continue to help. I think a trouble light would help you they are availible from any parts store for about $10.
Paingrin

Post by Paingrin »

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the help and encouragement. I've been working on other projects hence the delay in replying.
Ironchef had it just right . It is a short in the taillights. Bad grounds and corrosion on the board. Also none of my lights are running through the fuse panel. Whoever wired this mess should be shot! I found about a dozen wires all spliced together with crimp connectors and masking tape.
I have everything working right now but I eventually will need to rewire the lights. Unfortunately no one seems to have a complete wiring harness for sale. It might be my only option out of this DIY hell I'm in.
Anyway I'll keep everyone updated and if anyone knows about a wiring harness PM me!
pertyfly

Post by pertyfly »

Hey..
I saw this, and knew I had read it somewhere on this site!

Here's a wiring harness, supposedly complete and brand new on ebay!

Item#: 8053751215

Link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 8053751215

I'll PM you as well just in case.