Ignition switch removal woes

Gotta love that wiring . . .
dulcimerbob

Ignition switch removal woes

Post by dulcimerbob »

I have followed all the steps in the Miafioria article and still cannot get the steering column lock to move enough to clear the column. Any ideas?
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Re: Ignition switch removal woes

Post by htchevyii »

There's a video on the IAP website, but once you unplug it, turn the key to the arrow and depress the lock with a pin it should pull out.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

You have to hold your lip the right way and keep working at it. I've never got the dang switch out the first time, unless there was nothing wrong with it and I just wanted to see if I could actually do it.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
SLOSpider
Your car is a: 1973 124 Spider 2.0FI

Post by SLOSpider »

push hard on the pin an wiggle out...
1975 124 Spider
1976 Mazda Cosmo http://www.mazdacosmo.com
1989 Chevy k5 Blazer
1967 GT Mustang Fastback
wbsterritt

Post by wbsterritt »

That is the "key"-make sure the pin is fully depressed.
wbsterritt

Post by wbsterritt »

Another note: the Miafioria article has a mistake in the explanation of the operation of the switch. Without having the article in front of me and relying on memory-we're in trouble now-there was a reference to a "black" wire when in reality it should have said "black/blue." When reading beyond that, the explanation is correct concerning that circuit. I unnecessarily tore my ignition switch apart upon reading the mistake because the continuity wasn't where it said it should be. Once I got it all tore apart it was very evident that there would never be continuity between the terminals noted with the way the switch was designed. Take your time in understanding how the switch actually works before tearing into it. Good luck.
dulcimerbob

Post by dulcimerbob »

Got it off and refurbished. Not a bad job. The video was the key for the removal. Now I have a grey wire and a green/black wire in addition to the other 5 . I think the gr/blk is the fuel pump . The grey I don't know any ideas ?