Unusual noise in the rear wheels

Suspension related stuff goes in here.
The Magic Fiat

Unusual noise in the rear wheels

Post by The Magic Fiat »

I started the day out with the intention of changing the grease in the rear end, unfortunately I was thwarted by the filler plug not wanting to give up.

It had been rounded off once before and everything I tried went nowhere.

While I had the car up off the ground I spun the back wheels and was greeted with a "tick-a tick-a tick-a" sound coming from in there someplace.

I could hear it on both sides but not from underneath so I eliminated the u-joints from suspicion.

Could it be the wheel bearings? or something in the differential case?

Does it just make a noise like that when the weight is off the rear end?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

And I still haven't been able to get the plug out

Neil
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

first, let me congratulate you on checking the fill plug before removing the drain plug! No sense draining it if you can't refill it. Are you sure the click isn't coming from the brakes? Usually wheel bearings don't click unless they've completely come apart. There is backlash between the ring and pinion, so if you're turning the tires back and forth, you can get a click. Of course a chipped tooth can make that noise also
The Magic Fiat

Post by The Magic Fiat »

Thanks Mark. It was one of those "I've been screwed before" situations and when I looked at the rounded off plugs, I decided I better see if I could loosen them first before proceeding.

The clicking comes when the wheels are turned continuously, I'll try to get some audio posted of it, maybe that will help identify what's going on.

When you say "come apart" about the bearings, I would think that wiggling the wheel would provide some slack if they were bad, no?

So far it all seems solid, I just wonder if it's transmitting some noise from the differential itself.
I got under the car and turned the wheels, I could hear the sound from the wheel area, but nothing from the diff.

Go figure!

Neil
The Magic Fiat

Post by The Magic Fiat »

I wanted to do something all clever and embed a video of the back wheel but I can't figure out how to do it, so I'll just post the link to YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmE5n5iRhe0

It's only about 38 seconds and highlights the sound the rear end is making.
Hope it sounds familiar!

I've noticed that most Fiat problems are common to all Fiats and someone has encountered one or more at some time or other!!

Neil
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

the scraping noise sounds like the dust shield rubbing the wheel, the other noise sounds like the spider gears turning. With the car on the ground the spider gears only turn when the car is turning and the rear wheels are turning different speeds. When you raise the car and spin one wheel the spider gears turn, that's why the other wheel turns backwards
The Magic Fiat

Post by The Magic Fiat »

Hey Mark,
I'd agree with you about the dust shields except they aren't present (I'm currently reworking some off of another rear end)

Overall, does this sound dangerous to you?
Is it something that will leave me stranded?
Am I being a little paranoid?

Neil
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

always good to be concerned about noises, but what you're hearing is normal, not the scraping though.
The Magic Fiat

Post by The Magic Fiat »

I'm going to go in and sort out the scraping while I have it off the ground replacing the donut, so with luck that won't be an issue anymore!

Thanks!

Neil