Headlight beam indicator lamp wrong!

Gotta love that wiring . . .
124cso

Headlight beam indicator lamp wrong!

Post by 124cso »

I've got an 80 FI spider and as usual, has had wiring "bodged' by a previous owner. I suspect it has had additional driving lights at come time as there were dead wires left in place.

The problem is that when headlights are 'switched' to low beam, my high beams are on. When 'switched' to high beam, dashboard (high beam) indicators are on but actual headlamps are on dip beam. I suspect the extra lights may have been part of it ? but wires to fuses, connectors and ign switch look correct.

It has sealed beam light units & I assume these are universal ? or can they come with reversed wiring/plugs ?

I am intending to replace these with std lamps & 60/55w Halogen bulbs and thought of just rewiring the plugs at the lamp but would prefer to not have to. Any ideas ?
kmead
Your car is a: 1969 850 SC 1970 124 SC 85 X19

Re: Headlight beam indicator lamp wrong!

Post by kmead »

Perhaps they switched the wires at the headlight end, causing the system to give the correct information about what should be happening just the output is wrong. Conceivably they could have switched some wires up stream, an 80 I believe has an intermediate connection in the engine compartment, could they have switched them there?

I would work up the wiring diagram to see where things start going wrong.

You definitely want to fix this soon to avoide toasting wires not meant for the amperage. (low beams are often lower wattage then high beams)
Karl

1969 Fiat 850 Sports Coupe
1970 Fiat 124 Sports Coupe
1985 Bertone X1/9
1976sport

Re: Headlight beam indicator lamp wrong!

Post by 1976sport »

Could be the bulb behind the indicator I had a similar problem with the new bulb and a dirty ground when plugged in.