Fuel Gauge Light

Gotta love that wiring . . .
freddie

Fuel Gauge Light

Post by freddie »

Well after 15 months without my spider I have forgotten some of it's intrinsic functions.

Unaware of the fuel status, I ran it real low on fuel to the point where the needle was below the "empty" bar. My recollection is that the amber warning light should have come on before the needle reaches the "empty" bar. Is this correct.

Not wanting to test fate and push for 3Km, I re-filled.

So when does the "low" fuel light start blinking with your cars.
Now, if it's not working, is this an electrical/gauge issue or is it got to do with the fuel tank unit that gauges the level ?.

Any thoughts would be good.
Curly
Your car is a: 1968 AC Coupe and a 1976 CS1 Spider

Re: Fuel Gauge Light

Post by Curly »

It could be just a blown globe in the fuel gauge. :wink:
Otherwise the warning light is triggered by the fuel tank sender unit. I can't remember exactly how it works, it's been a while since I had mine apart, but it I'm pretty sure you can easily adjust it to come on prior to tank reaching empty. :roll:
freddie

Post by freddie »

Thanks Curly. I'll pull it out and check if a globe needs replacing.

Very nice spiduh mate. Love those Simmons. What sort of shocks and springs you got on there. I'm about to do mine soon.

Lovely interior. Very smick. Congrats.
Curly
Your car is a: 1968 AC Coupe and a 1976 CS1 Spider

Post by Curly »

freddie wrote:Thanks Curly. I'll pull it out and check if a globe needs replacing.

Very nice spiduh mate. Love those Simmons. What sort of shocks and springs you got on there. I'm about to do mine soon.

Lovely interior. Very smick. Congrats.
Kings springs and Pedders shocks
Thanks for the kind words and good luck with your project.
jimincalif
Your car is a: 1980 FI Spider

Post by jimincalif »

You should be able to pull the wires off the sender at the tank. With the key on if you ground one wire it will peg the gauge, the other should cause the light to come on. If it doesn't come on, probably the bulb in the gauge.
1980 FI Spider
81SPIDERMATT
Your car is a: 1981 spider 2000

Post by 81SPIDERMATT »

jimincalif wrote:You should be able to pull the wires off the sender at the tank. With the key on if you ground one wire it will peg the gauge, the other should cause the light to come on. If it doesn't come on, probably the bulb in the gauge.
WHEN YOU SAY THE OTHER ONE... DO YOU MEAN GROUND THAT WIRE ALSO AND THE LIGHT SHOULD COME ON.... TROUBLE SHOOTING MY LOW FUEL LIGHT....THANKS.... MATT
RoyBatty
Your car is a: 1975 124 Spider - 1971 124 Sport Coupe

Post by RoyBatty »

freddie wrote:
So when does the "low" fuel light start blinking with your cars.
Now, if it's not working, is this an electrical/gauge issue or is it got to do with the fuel tank unit that gauges the level ?.

Any thoughts would be good.
Hi Freddie,
The red warning lamp in my fuel level indicator blinks on and off when I get down to 3 or 4 gallons left in the tank.
When I get below about 2.5 gallons left it comes on steady.
It is consistent and seems pretty accurate. The indicator needle usually reads about 1/4 tank at this time.