headlights dim

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Steve F

headlights dim

Post by Steve F »

WHEN I REV THE ENGINE ON MY 81 SPIDER 2000 TURBO THE LIGHTS GET BRIGHTER AND DIMMER, IS THIS AN INDICATION OF A PROBLEM IN THE WIRING OR IS IT JUST NORMAL? :? THANX IN ADVANCE.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

as engine speed increases so does the alternator rpm which puts out more voltage, thus making the lights brighter
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

i have a couple of procedures that i've written that might help you and others for this situation.

http://flumichigan.italiancarclub.com/w ... icles.html

look for the link called "BROWN WIRE SURGERY" and for the link called "HEADLIGHT RELAY PROCEDURE"

the issues of poor juice to the headlights and dash lights are usually solved with the implimentation of each of the above, plus proper cleaning of ALL ground pods, the ignition switch connector and the fuse panel connections.

Of course, an additional ground wire between the engine block and inner fender well never hurt either.

Good luck, and keep us posted.
Steve F

Post by Steve F »

Thanks for the advice Mark and Mike. I had already considered the rpm factor but i like a steady beam so the procedures you have suggested Mike are probably just thing. I will let you know how it goes, probably a couple weeks or so before i have the time tho.
yarber86

Re: headlights dim

Post by yarber86 »

Hi there,
I have a 1969 124 spider and only the right side lights are dim ( headlight,rear brake light and side yellow and red). Any ideas?
Thanks ~Greg
Last edited by yarber86 on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Checking and cleaning the grounds might help. Especially the ground at the taillamp.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
TVST*R

Post by TVST*R »

I have the opposite problem...My headlights are too Bright...Jeez!..hehe
Mark did a little wiring job to the Alt. to get some brightness.
I added European Lights from these guys: http://www.rallylights.com/hella/7in.asp
and also from them I bought some 80/100 watt bulbs.

WoW...this is the bomb setup for lights!!!!

I stil want to get a Heavy Duty Alt. if they make one.
T
Steve F

Post by Steve F »

lol i know this is wayyyyyy later than i said it would be but i thought i would let you know mike that Finally my girlfriend aquiesced to my repeated promting to allow me to do the brow wire surgery on her baby. The brown wire surgery was the exact solution to our problem....thanx to you all for your time on my problem. :D
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

thx for the update
mbouse

Post by mbouse »

we are all glad that your Fiating experience is better today!

success stories are very nice to read
Adam

Post by Adam »

I just did the Greg Smith relay upgrade. It was so easy I was convinced that I had screwed it up!

Did the relay conversion in conjunction with the halogen bulb upgrade. The lights are as bright as my subies!

You can opt out of the Greg Smith relay kit, but for the price, everything is included, trimmed, and ready to go.

Well worth the 70 bucks.

Adam
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Did you notice a difference in any of your other electricals?...like did your wipers go faster? I really need to take the time to add this kit to one of my cars.
1972 124 Spider (Don)
1971 124 Spider (Juan)
1986 Bertone X19 (Blue)
1978 124 Spider Lemons racer
1974 X19 SCCA racer (Paul)
2012 500 Prima Edizione #19 (Mini Rossa)
Ever changing count of parts cars....It's a disease!
Adam

Post by Adam »

haven't had her out on the road since the upgrade. Need to align the headlights first.

Maybe I'll do that tonight and take her out. I have a rebuilt bosch altenator to put in to her. I'll replace the old 45 amp one with a bit more juice.

If adding an engine ground, can I run a new wire from the negative altenator post to the egr mounting bolt on the passanger side fender? Or is there a better way to add a good engine ground?

Thanks,

Adam
Tappy
Your car is a: 124 spider 2000 1979

Post by Tappy »

Adam wrote:haven't had her out on the road since the upgrade. Need to align the headlights first.

Maybe I'll do that tonight and take her out. I have a rebuilt bosch altenator to put in to her. I'll replace the old 45 amp one with a bit more juice.

If adding an engine ground, can I run a new wire from the negative altenator post to the egr mounting bolt on the passanger side fender? Or is there a better way to add a good engine ground?

Thanks,

Adam
my extra ground runs from the fender to an bold on the engine itself , i believe the casing from the alternator is all ground
if this isn't correct , pls someone comment
FineItalianAutomobile TechnologyImage

pls don't see what i write , read what i mean
Adam

Post by Adam »

My wipers do go faster and my heater fan doesn't bog when I turn on the lights. You can buy the wiring, terminals, relays, and heat shrink and make your own, but I can't say enough about how easy the kit was. Everything was connected, terminated, and cut to lenght. It litterally took me 30 minutes to do, once I called Greg and he guided me through finiding the correct wiring.

Now if only my oil leak were that easy to fix!