charging issues (WAS something's always "ON"!)

Gotta love that wiring . . .
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Re: charging issues (WAS something's always "ON"!)

Post by baltobernie »

maytag wrote:thanks Bernie.
The indicator light glows brightly ALL THE TIME, no matter the load or RPM.
Here's visual indication of your problem. One more question: Does your car have an external voltage regulator? If "yes", then there is a problem with the regulator or the wiring to/from it. You can download a wiring diagram from Brad Artigue's site, without waiting to get yours returned.

You aren't charging your battery at all with the present situation, so don't drive the car or you'll ruin your new battery.
majicwrench

Post by majicwrench »

Going to politely disagree on a tech point, running a battery down will not ruin it.
Keith
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

especially with today's "dry-cel" technology, which is what I bought (I always buy the OPTIMA brand battery, for everything I own)

BUT: I better get it fixed or I'll be push-starting it again.... just like I was last week! :evil:
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

To see if the car drain your battery, plug a test light in serie between the battery and the cable. If the light goes on, remove fuse one at the timed and check if the light goes off. When it goes off, the problem come from that circuit.
And did you check the two connector behind the alternator?

John
maytag
Your car is a: 1976 124 spider

Post by maytag »

ORFORD2004 wrote:To see if the car drain your battery, plug a test light in serie between the battery and the cable. If the light goes on, remove fuse one at the timed and check if the light goes off. When it goes off, the problem come from that circuit.
And did you check the two connector behind the alternator?

John
non, je n'ais pas encore verifie les connecteurs a l'artenateur (sp?), seulement le post ou j'ai verifie 14volts.
q'est-ce-q'uils fait, les deux autres?
je veut bien trouver le problem de charging avant que je passent beacuoup de temps cherchent le problem de drainage.

how's that for franglais? I hope I don't offend? I took from your post, mixed with your location that english may not be a primary language, and french may be? et ca va bientot faire 25ans depuis la derniere fois que j'etais on France, et plutot 35 depuis que j'etais au Canada! et comme je n'ai que 40 ans..... ca fait bien longtemps! :wink: alors si j'arrive a me faire compris on francais, ca me fait du bien! :?:

and thanks for the suggestions!
I'm no Boy-Racer..... but if I can't take every on-ramp at TWICE the posted limit.... I'm a total failure!
ORFORD2004
Your car is a: 1983 PININFARINA

Post by ORFORD2004 »

Ton français est encore pas pire lolll!!!!!
rdavidson52

Post by rdavidson52 »

It may be something as simple as the "parking light" switch. When doing some interior work I inadvertently rocked the switch on. As the car stays inside and covered I didn't notice the lights being on when I'd uncover and roll it out into the sun. My battery kept going low and I was checking all I could think of under the dash but couldn't anything. Then, on the 4th - 5th day I noticed the switch and turned it off. Frustratingly simple.