Console and sound proofing

This is the place to discuss restoration problems, post questions or projects-complete or partial.
peterfrueh

Console and sound proofing

Post by peterfrueh »

Hello Fiat Nation. I am putting new carpets and sound proofing in my 81 Anniversary Spyder. Any feedback about the Dynamat sound deadening product? Also I can't get the console out and I'm wondering if I have to back off the emergency brake cables to allow the lever to come back far enough to get the console over it. Thanks in advance. Peter
Kev659

Re: Console and sound proofing

Post by Kev659 »

Dynamat is some good stuff. I recently redid my interior and it really made a difference. With the center consol, I had to back off the emergency break cable so I could remove the consol. It’s real simple to do.
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

where is the cheapest place to buy the dynomat? And how much is needed to do the spider flooring and doors?
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

I bought Sound Destroyer on Ebay, it was much cheaper than Dynamat and seems pretty good. There are several thicknesses to choose from, I used a lighter one, but doubled it in key areas. Sorry, it's been awhile I can't remember how much I used.
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
burgandy81
Your car is a: 1981 FIAT Spider 2000

Post by burgandy81 »

Last year I did a bit of web research on sound control. The link below seemed to offer very practical advice and a source for a variety of products.

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Unfortunately I have not got past the research stage.

Please post what you find as a solution.

Cheers
htchevyii
Patron 2022
Patron 2022
Your car is a: 1982 Spider hers 1972 Spider his

Post by htchevyii »

Here's mine: wire wheeled, cut out rust and welded in new metal, treated with POR15 Metal Ready and painted with Master Series. The black coating is a urethane that was part of a Toyota Echo floor recall. If it will keep an Echo floor from rusting, why not a Fiat? Then I used thick Dynamat in key areas, followed by the thinner foil coated stuff. Probabily overkill in a convertable. :roll:
Trey
1982 SPIDER 2000, 1964 CHEVYII, 1969 Chevy Nova, 2005 DODGE RAM, 1988 Jeep Comanche
1972 Spider, 78 Spider rat racer 57 f-100,
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

Best place to buy the dynamat is amazon as they got the best prices. Buy the bulk pack as it will cover the whole interior floor pans, kick panel metal and back seat floor. Here's some pics of my car with the dynamat installed. I also chose to do the trunk.http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3177420/2
azygoustoyou

Post by azygoustoyou »

You didn't do the doors? Would there be enough in the pack to do the doors too?
For everyone that wants better sound out of their Fiats. I saw on West Coast Customs . They put polyfill behind the speakers to give a deeper sound. It gives you the effect of a bigger speaker box. It looked like cotton.
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

azygoustoyou wrote:You didn't do the doors? Would there be enough in the pack to do the doors too?
For everyone that wants better sound out of their Fiats. I saw on West Coast Customs . They put polyfill behind the speakers to give a deeper sound. It gives you the effect of a bigger speaker box. It looked like cotton.
No, didn't do the doors as I didn't want to add too much weight on the door hinges. Not sure if one pack would do the doors to but maybe. :)