How to remove alternator 79 Spider?

Gotta love that wiring . . .
TEYESpider
Your car is a: 79 Spider

How to remove alternator 79 Spider?

Post by TEYESpider »

I could use a suggestion on how to remove the alternator.

I have a 79 carbed Spider with alternator on the driver side.
I removed the upper bolt that went through a curved slotted bracket.
I removed the lower pivot bolt. Had to lift the radiator out of the way to remove this bolt. I didn't completely remove the radiator yet.
I also removed the air filter and stuff on top of the carburetor for better access.

The alternator seems to still be attached to the lower pivot. Is there a spacer in the hole also that needs to be removed?

Once I free the lower pivot attachment how can I get the alternator out? It seems to be surrounded on top by that curved bracket. I am guessing I need to remove the radiator completely and wiggle the alternator forward and up.

What do you suggest?
Brent
79 Spider - owner since Sept 09
https://picasaweb.google.com/tennistour ... directlink
Fiat88

Re: How to remove alternator 79 Spider?

Post by Fiat88 »

It takes some wiggling to get out. I recently took out the alternator in my '79. Two bolts, tensioner small bolt on top and the long one on the bottom sounds like you got those out. Just gotta get it off the pivot bracket by prying it up with both hands, not sure if you really have to remove the rad but I had mine out to do the timing belt.
TEYESpider

Post by TEYESpider »

Must be it's just a tight fit and I need to pull more to get it off that bottom bracket.

I knew I should have done this when I replaced my timing belt a few months ago!

Thanks
Brent
NCArachnid
Your car is a: 1972 124 Spider Sport

Post by NCArachnid »

I just pulled the alternator on my '83 parts-car (lower LH). I did it with the radiator in place. The lower pivot-bolt pulls all the way out until it contacts the radiator but then you just rock the alternator and the bolt comes out. The alternator is likely bound on the pivot and will gently pry free. There doesn't appear to be enough room between the inner fender and the curved upper brace but once the pivot comes free it will rotate and come right out.
Jon

1972 1600 spider (undergoing moderate freshening....yeah who are we kidding. Restoration in progress)
1983 Pininfarina 2000 FI (willing organ donor)
1968 Chevy C-10 SWB (faithful shop truck)
TEYESpider

Post by TEYESpider »

I was able to get it out barely, without removing the radiator.

There was a short spacer in one of the lugs. I see now what you mean about "prying" it out.

Thanks
Brent
Brent
Zmatt

Post by Zmatt »

I haven't tried without removing the radiator, but it shouldn't be that hard. have you tried getting under the car?