No key what should I do

Gotta love that wiring . . .
roanokeSpider

No key what should I do

Post by roanokeSpider »

I lost my key about 4 weeks back and I have given up hope on finding it. So without a key how do I take out the old ignition when the steering wheel has that locking mechanism. Given that a locksmith is out of the question since they would cost more compared to a new igniton off of ebay.
DoctorPDR

Re: No key what should I do

Post by DoctorPDR »

roanokeSpider wrote:I lost my key about 4 weeks back and I have given up hope on finding it. So without a key how do I take out the old ignition when the steering wheel has that locking mechanism. Given that a locksmith is out of the question since they would cost more compared to a new igniton off of ebay.
If I remember correctly, the ignition can still be removed. The lock slides out. I replaced my ignition a couple of years ago, because I found one on ebay with original keys. Yes, I'm anal.
Mathew26

Post by Mathew26 »

Be aggresive. We get this question about once a week. Just go to town on the old one its not like its worth anything now lol. Take a drill to it if you want. But it'll come out because its just such a perfectly simply design.
james124

Post by james124 »

Hi spider. These is the best instructions I found on removing the ignition switch. Do not force anything, it should come out quite easily. http://www.mirafiori.com/~kdickson/switch/
Good luck. JimmyG
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

without the key, removing the switch intact is impossible. Remove the steering column and take it to a locksmith to get a key made. If you drill out the switch, you'll have to buy a new one, and those Russian switches the vendors sell are really poor quality
brunorahl

Post by brunorahl »

I removed my old ignition switch a while back and I must say, it was a real pain. I ended up having to get a used column w/o a switch because I bent and twisted the switch housing. If I ever loose the key again I'll take the while column to a locksmith and get them to turn the switch so it will come out.

Good luck with the idea of getting a key made to fit, I called several dozen places and nobody had a Fiat blank. (I want a couple spares!) The switch I got from Vick's seems to work fine. I don't think the Russians can make electrical any worse than the Italians.
beachboy

Post by beachboy »

you can buy blanks on-line and bring them to the locksmith.
brunorahl

Post by brunorahl »

Who still has them? When I called around, the only ones people had were with switches. And locksmiths kept making the "Fix it again Tony" joke.
DoctorPDR

Post by DoctorPDR »

brunorahl wrote:And locksmiths kept making the "Fix it again Tony" joke.
Because TONY never knew how to work on a FIAT in the first place, that's why!
Last edited by DoctorPDR on Sat May 01, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
courtenay
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1980 Spider 2000

Post by courtenay »

The Keys for Classics guys do a great job. Had mine delivered within 3 weeks from ordering. Only issue might be that they are steel keys (which is good) and some key cutters might not do them.
Bruce Shearer
'80 Spider Fi
'10 Volvo XC70
'06 GMC 1 Ton PU
'72 Spider a long, long time ago
2ndwind
Your car is a: 1982 Spider

Post by 2ndwind »

Recently, I spoke to a local locksmith who carries blanks for the spider ignition and trunk. They will come out to your place and cut a key for $85, takes about an hour.
Steve
1982 Red Spider 2000
1919 Old Town Sailing Canoe
amsiegel

Post by amsiegel »

I am guessing you dont care what happens to the switch that has not keys.
This only an idea. I have not tried doing while it was in the car.
First pop of the shine cover that in the top of the lock. Pry a small scerewdriver under the edge and it will come out.
In the photo below the volt meter probe is pointing to a pin that is on the lock.
That pin holds the key cylinder into the ignition switch. If you can figure out how to get that pin out the key cylinder will come out. (Mine was out off the car so I could just drill the pin out.) Once the cylider is out you can turn the ignition switch with a large screw diver.

Even with the keys this switch was a pain to get out.
roanokeSpider

Post by roanokeSpider »

I drilled it out with an old but very sharp bit and after 10 min or so i was able to take it out. Im not sure how you could manage to bend up the housing that hold the ignition but mine is just fine. Im still pissed as can be over losing that key.
Surfbeamer

Post by Surfbeamer »

I know its been a while since this posted but I had the same issue. The solution may be as easy as reading the spare (key) code on the vehicle identification plate located in the engine bay on the fire wall in front to the cockpit ... Assuming the plate is still readible. Works on '76 thru '78 for sure. There are 2 codes, one for the ignition and one for the door locks. Take the code to a locksmith, they can cut a key from the code.

The details of this are provided in the Owners Manual on the first page ... They refers to "spares" which should read "spare keys".

I am taking my code to Tony's Locksmith in San Clemente ... $20 code fee and $6 for each key blank. Fix It Again Tony! Haha.
Much better and cheaper than fiddling with ignition or buying aftermarket.

Hope this helps anyway also in this situation.