Engine Replacement?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
Jon

Engine Replacement?

Post by Jon »

I was just curious if anyone has heard of any other engines fitting in the spider's engine bay. Or if anyone has knowledge or information on how to research what might fit in there. It seems that with a lot of applications the firewall might have to be pushed back just a bit, which I think would be acceptable. But I wouldn't want to make any holes or alterations to the hood.

Either that, or does anyone know where I can get a reliable engine from? I haven't had too good experiences with Fiat engines in the past.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

a properly built and maintained Fiat engine should give years of reliable service. They do have some inherent areas of concern, as do most engines. That being said, there are members here that have done some wild conversions, including a GM V6 installation. It all depends on your fabrication abilities.
Mad-Machine

Post by Mad-Machine »

even adding a 16valve head to the spider's stock engine requires that the firewall be cut and shut to make room for the longer casting of the head.

I have heard of people putting a rotory in.. but I have never seen it done.
v6spider
Your car is a: 4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider

Post by v6spider »

Hi Jon,

Here's the engine swap project the Mark was referring (GM V6): http://www.v6spider.com . I have been working on this thing for quite some time. Be prepared for a lot of work. However, it is something I definately enjoy and it has been rewarding.

I agree with Mark. Properly built the FIAT engine is quite durable. Where do think most of the japanese overhead cam engines take there design from. The Twin-cam FIAT engine design is still in used today because of its reliabilty, economy of design, and performance.

My problem is I can't leave well enough alone. I love tinkering and creating something that I can call my own. If this sounds like you then let me know I can probably save you a lot of grief if you are interested in doing a swap like mine.
http://www.v6spider.com
4.3L V6 Powered 1972 124 FIAT Spider
Danno

Post by Danno »

that's exactly like what I'm gonna do, except with a 3" brake/tail, 4" brake/tail, a 4" signal. then there will be 4" reverse lights down in the modified bumper shock location. all lights will be LEDs from vehiclelight.com
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

I looked at the 4" LED lights. And they were WAY to big for me. The 2.5" lights that I am using are actually marker lights that were modded to accept standard 2 filament bulbs. From the sound of it when you get done there won't be anyexcuse for someone NOT seeing the back end of your spider. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Danno

Post by Danno »

v6spider wrote:I looked at the 4" LED lights. And they were WAY to big for me. The 2.5" lights that I am using are actually marker lights that were modded to accept standard 2 filament bulbs. From the sound of it when you get done there won't be anyexcuse for someone NOT seeing the back end of your spider. :lol: :lol: :lol:
that's the plan!!!!
Hjulen

Post by Hjulen »

I can't say I like that style, I am partial to the late model ones on the 2000 spiders. I have seen a spider with just large single red round (enough adjectives?) tail lights...looks kinds awkward with the angled sides.

Just my opinion though.
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Danno wrote:Image
that's exactly like what I'm gonna do, except with a 3" brake/tail, 4" brake/tail, a 4" signal. then there will be 4" reverse lights down in the modified bumper shock location. all lights will be LEDs from vehiclelight.com
Hi Dan,

Are you planning to french these lights in similar to my spider or are going to surface mount them? Just curious, I just remember that you were not to hot on doing anything that involved welding and this particular modification would required some welding. I suppose you could use fiberglass although I don't know how durable it would be.
Danno

Post by Danno »

v6spider wrote: Hi Dan,

Are you planning to french these lights in similar to my spider or are going to surface mount them? Just curious, I just remember that you were not to hot on doing anything that involved welding and this particular modification would required some welding. I suppose you could use fiberglass although I don't know how durable it would be.
Not surface mount, I've been thinking about the angle that's in there. I think everything is going to be mounted perpedicular to the car, so the light(s) on the inside will be flush (frenched) and the light(s) on the outer portion will be set at an angle to the car. this will most likely be easiest for me to do with fiberglass (my specialty) and I'm confident that it will plenty durable and it won't look out of place when I'm done. on a similar note, I've been thinking about doing something that would instead involve lights like these 2.5" "behives"

kinda Corvettish i'd imagine. anyway, that's what I'm thinking. Why?
v6spider

Post by v6spider »

Danno wrote: ...on a similar note, I've been thinking about doing something that would instead involve lights like these 2.5" "behives"

kinda Corvettish i'd imagine. anyway, that's what I'm thinking. Why?
I like these better especially if you french them in to where the points are flush with the body line.

I welded my light buckets in using 2.5" 20 gauge exhaust pipe. Worked great welding is really not the hard just takes patience and practice. For all the stuff I have done to my car I had to know how to weld. Either that or pay someone else to do it and I can't afford that .... besides that's where all the fun is! 8)
spiderblood

engine

Post by spiderblood »

are you still looking for an engine? How many do you need???I have a few, carberated and fuel injected. call Mitchell 917 864 9599
fasterfiat

Any thing bigger?

Post by fasterfiat »

Just about anything bigger is going to require a fair amount of mods. My LT-1 and 700r4 required a new transmission tunnel, firewall, modification of all parts in the engine compartment, supra rack and pinion steering and extra frame rails as well as a torque strap so the car wouldn't twist in two. Still has the original suspension.