Wiper Motor test

Gotta love that wiring . . .
barnesjtsl
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Wiper Motor test

Post by barnesjtsl »

1979 Spider 2000

My wipers don't work. This is a restoration project and they have never worked since I bought the car. I have checked the fuse and it is fine. When I try and turn them on nothing happens.

From what I can tell there are 4 things involved here. The switch on the steering column, the fuse, the relay under the glove box and the motor itself.

I have the motor taken out. There are six wires comming from it. It seems to me that if the motor is good that I could just connect a ground and a hot to two of the wires to a 12 volt battery and it should run if it is good? Is that correct? If so, which color wire(s) do I connect to the hot and which color to the ground?

Thank you very much for all the help,

barnesjtsl
amsiegel

Re: Wiper Motor test

Post by amsiegel »

Barne

Yes if you put 12 volts to the motor it should spin. A typical problem with the wipers is that the linkage part get stuck. If you should pull out the linkage and spray everything down with some kind of lubercant and make sure everything it moving smootly.

When I did my wipers the motor moved fine when the 12 volts was connected but was not stong enough to move the linkage. I took the motor apart. Its easy to take apart a little difficult to put back together becasue of the magnets. Nothing to bad though. When I took mine apart sprayed it with electrical cleaner (non chlorine) took wire brush and cleaned the gunk of the coils. Then I recoated the coils with the electric grease and everything worked fine. Its still a bit slow I am going to try the brown wire fix ( do a search for it) one day to see if it helps.
sptcoupe
Your car is a: 1972 124 Sport Coupe

Post by sptcoupe »

Here's another solution to the whole gamut of common electrical problems, .

".....the alternator has been on the car for 200 miles now and it works very well. It
gives over 14 volts even with the lights, fan and wipers on. The wipers are actually super
fast now, see here:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6sFtVbRB0Q

This is the 95 amp Ford alternator swap, discussed in a thread in this forum. You can use the hetaer fan for a hair dryer now, even with the lights, radio and everything else on - including the wipers. And they work in all three speeds :-)
barnesjtsl
Your car is a: 1979 Spider

Post by barnesjtsl »

Thanks for the replys.

Which color wire is ground, which color wire is hot?
zachmac
Your car is a: 1978 Spider [1979 2 ltr engine]

Post by zachmac »

sptcoupe wrote:Here's another solution to the whole gamut of common electrical problems, .

".....the alternator has been on the car for 200 miles now and it works very well. It
gives over 14 volts even with the lights, fan and wipers on. The wipers are actually super
fast now, see here:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6sFtVbRB0Q

This is the 95 amp Ford alternator swap, discussed in a thread in this forum. You can use the hetaer fan for a hair dryer now, even with the lights, radio and everything else on - including the wipers. And they work in all three speeds :-)
Wow, that's a stock wiper motor in the video? OMG, what a difference. I was going to try the whole VW wiper motor swap route but it looks to me like this is the way to go! I'll be ordering mine from auto-ricambi today!
Jeff Klein, Aiken, SC
1980 FI Spider, Veridian with Tan (sold about a year ago), in the market for another project
1989 Spider, sold
2008 Mercedes SL65
2008 S600 Mercedes V12
baltobernie
Patron 2020
Patron 2020
Your car is a: 1973 Spider [sold]

Post by baltobernie »

barnesjtsl wrote: Which color wire is ground, which color wire is hot?
http://www.artigue.com/wp-content/uploa ... 9_1980.pdf