custom hood?

What sets your Spider apart from the rest?
mdrburchette
Your car is a: 1972 Fiat 124 Sport

Post by mdrburchette »

Is this setup going to cause problems with your linkage? As for air cleaners, could you use horns, similar to what I'm running?
spiderrey
Your car is a: 70 124 spider-74x19-03 ranger edge

Post by spiderrey »

you can see the linkage will clear on the drivers side.
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

sorry
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

well, u notice how very little the air cleaner pokes out with trhis set up? wanted to see if a small bump hood would clear this, but i somehow misplaced mine in the monve to this house. only have flat ones and large one. i figured out the linkage with parts i have, and aces pics. Burchette, the manifold will be on its way. all so moved card 1/2 inch towards the head. cleaner now sits offset and back in my holy hood.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

Rey, these filters from pierce manifolds may fit under the flat hood, now that you have rearranged things. It is part number RF457. They are 2" high, 7" long, 4.5" wide. Image

They fit under mine, with about 1/4" to spare!

alvon
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

Rey-

You mentioned that you have some large bump hoods. I've been looking for a large bump hood to go on my '78 before I get it painted. Do you have a large bump hood in good shape that you'd be willing to part with?
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

Ace, your such a show off.lol. ill take a look at those filters, though. Hollywood, ill have to look at that hood, if i dont have a good one, i know where to get you one.. do you have a good small bump hood. if so maybe we trade.
HOLLYWOODSPIDER

Post by HOLLYWOODSPIDER »

My small bump hood is fine but has 2 areas of paint loss/cracking. No rust. I had a large bump hood on my old '78, so that's what I'm used to looking at. That's why I want to get one.
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

if Rey doesn't have one, I probably do
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

thats where i was going to check next mark.
bandit

Post by bandit »

Rey
Instead of Grafting that piece in why not just heat up the area
with a torch and pound it out some for a smaller bump and
less work ?

BTW Ace's Engine is A 1800 = shorter Block then your 2L so I am
sure it will be an issue with your stock flat hood as well before
you waste your money but who knows I maybe wrong ?

Dan
bandit

Post by bandit »

why do we get copys ?

:? :? :? :?
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

bandit wrote:BTW Ace's Engine is A 1800 = shorter Block then your 2L so I am sure it will be an issue with your stock flat hood
Good point about the differences in engine block height, Dan. I think Rey may be using a 2.0 liter cross-member to drop the engine down some, but I'm not sure how much that gains. And the IDF intake manifold from Denise moves the carbs a little aft, which may give more clearance at the hood for the front carb. The rear carb is so close to the firewall, this may present a challenge with finding a filter that won't hit the firewall.

alvon
spiderrey

Post by spiderrey »

your almost dead on ace . i know that the engines are different heights, but im not using a 2 liter x-member. just looking at the pic, seems like your filter might work; if its not longer then the carb. getting the manifold repolished rt now.
ventura ace

Post by ventura ace »

Rey,
The oval filters are 7" long + a little extra for the clips that hold the wire mesh screen, so they will hang over the ends of the carbs. Hope you can find something to fit. That's a nice looking manifold!

alvon