Replaced drive belt - now lights and power windows out

Gotta love that wiring . . .
k9dr

Replaced drive belt - now lights and power windows out

Post by k9dr »

I have a 1981 Spider 2000 that has been running great. I was on my way to work yesterday and I heard a thump and rattle under the hood. I discovered a broken drive belt. I replaced the belt and thought everything was OK. Unfortunately, the headlights and power windows no longer work. I checked all the fuses in the fuse box and they look OK. Any ideas ??
mbouse

Re: Replaced drive belt - now lights and power windows out

Post by mbouse »

i'd want to say that the broken belt had something to do with the now malfunctioning lights, wouldn't you? headlight power is supplied and the ground pods are readily accessible by flying debris from a v-belt. double check your wires on the inside fenders.

looks can be very deceiving. fuses can look o.k. and be toasted. have you checked across both sides of the fuse panel for the appropriate fuses with a volt meter?
. disconnect the neg battery terminal
. remove all fuses
. clean the fuse terminals with 00 steel wool
. pinch the terminals tight with fingertips
. replace all fuses with brand new fuses of the appropriate amperage
. reconnect neg battery terminal
. check both sides of each fuse for power with your volt meter

headlights are on separate fuse circuits... so, if both sides are suddenly malfunctioning AND other circuits are as well, then the most common place for those circuits would be the ignition switch. double check that big white connector behind the ignition switch. make sure each of those connections are clean and tight.
k9dr

Re: Replaced drive belt - now lights and power windows out

Post by k9dr »

Thanks for the advice. I checked the fuses again and replaced some but that did not solve the problem. Your idea to check the ground wires was correct. Reseating the ground wires on the inside left fender solved the problem. They must have been dislodged by the shredded drive belt. All lights and power windows are working well again. Thanks !!