Worn Horn Ring

Gotta love that wiring . . .
cdnclipper
Patron 2018
Patron 2018
Your car is a: 1978 Pininfarina

Worn Horn Ring

Post by cdnclipper »

While we are on the subject, has anyone come up with a good solution for the worn horn ring.

clipper
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Re: Worn Horn Ring

Post by manoa matt »

It depends upon which steering wheel/hub you have.

If you have the later (79-85) wheel and aluminum hub, then the horn ring can easily be removed from the hub, the best solution for this case is to source that ring unit from someone with a parts car, you may have to buy the whole hub.

If you have the earlier (68-78) wheel with the plastic hub, then you have to drill out the copper rivets to disassemble the hub and horn ring assembly. You will need some brass machine screws to assemble it back together. I found a brass fender washer in the lamp parts section of a good hardware store. You have to drill out the center hole to match the diameter of the existing worn through horn ring. You then solder the washer over the existing horn ring and re-assemble it with the brass screws.

You should note that the horn rings typically only wear through in a small area of the circumference. As long as you can honk the horn while the wheels are pointed straight ahead, it might not be a big issue. Face it, you won't be honking the horn while you are making a turn.
cdnclipper
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Re: Worn Horn Ring

Post by cdnclipper »

Thanks Matt,

I was thinking along the same lines, so thanks for confirming I wasn't totally off the rails. It is a 78; Horns not working only when I turn backing up.

I will give it a try and post results

clipper
cdnclipper
Patron 2018
Patron 2018

Re: Worn Horn Ring Thanks Manoa Matt

Post by cdnclipper »

Well it took a while, but the horn app ears to be working after re & re steering wheel

Used a piece of flat stock brass;
1/ drilled a hole through and punched to inside diameter
2/ pop'd the rivets and removed the worn ring from the contact side of steering wheel
3/ lined up and traced the outside d and cut with tin snips
4/ ran a bead of solder between the worn ring and new ring
5/ filed clean to soften edges
6/ reattached using # 6 1" stainless machine screws

Thanks for the tip Matt, works great

Cdn Clipper