Horn has issues...

Gotta love that wiring . . .
Fiat88

Horn has issues...

Post by Fiat88 »

Hey guys, my horn works sometimes but not all the time. When I first got the car it didn't work then had my mechanic figure out and worked for a few months now off and on. It seems as if a wire is getting pulled or something because when I turn the wheel a certain way it works and then lets say I make a few turns it won't work. :twisted: I know the horns are good because I checked them with a hot line from the battery. All grounding pods are cleaned and replating. can't figure it out. :idea:

Thanks!
So Cal Mark

Re: Horn has issues...

Post by So Cal Mark »

remove the steering wheel, you'll likely find a broken terminal and possibly a damaged slip ring on the underside of the wheel
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

Thanks Mark gonna see what I can do, and update later. Gotta love these Fiat's! :)
manoa matt
Your car is a: 1978 Fiat 124 Spider 1800

Post by manoa matt »

When you pull that wheel you will see two small brass contacts on the column switch. You will also see corresponding brass rings on the steering wheel hub. Probably one of several things is going on.

The small contacts can shift position and not make contact with the ring on the hub.
The ring on the hub can be worn through in one spot, (seen this a lot and its hard to fix.)
The wiring in the horn button is frayed or partially broken
The wiring in the column switch is frayed or partially broken
The contacts in the horn button are corroded and not making contact
The horn relay is going bad

You will likely see a bunch of brass dust around the column switch. Apon re-assembily apply some vaseline or dialectric grease to the contact ring to keep things from corroding and lubed to prevent wearing through of the contact ring.
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

Well, tried to get the steering wheel off but only got 4 of the six hex screws. :oops: The heads of them are pretty much stripped(hate it when that happens), will try again tomorrow when I get home from college when I have more time.

Matt thanks for listing the possiblities!
manoa matt

Post by manoa matt »

If you take those six hex head screws out all you will do is remove the wheel from the hub. Reinstall the screws, remove the horn button, and then use a 15/16" socket to remove the large nut. Gently hit the underside of the wheel on opposite sides with the palm of your hand and the wheel and hub will come off the steering shaft, then you will see what I'm talking about.
Fiat88

Post by Fiat88 »

Thanks for the instructions Manoa matt! Glad you told me how to correctly get the wheel off. That will save me a lot of wasted time.LOL.
Fiat88

Re: Horn has issues...can't get steering wheel off

Post by Fiat88 »

Gently hit the underside of the wheel on opposite sides with the palm of your hand and the wheel and hub will come off the steering shaft, then you will see what I'm talking about.
Got the nut off but the hub won't pop off. Tried to use my palms and some WD-40 that didn't work then resorted to a rubber mallet, that didn't work either. How do you guys get that thing off?
So Cal Mark

Post by So Cal Mark »

I put the nut on just a few threads, brace my feet against the floorboard between the pedals and pull like hell.
manoa matt

Post by manoa matt »

While you are pulling on each side of the wheel have an assistant tap the protruding steering shaft with a metal hammer and it should pop off. You can always try a 3 jaw gear puller, I had to once and it worked well.
ga.spyder
Your car is a: 1982 Spider 2000

Post by ga.spyder »

I recently got 2 stuck wheels off using the 'Ace Ventura' method.Have someone pull on the wheel,leave the nut on loosely to keep from getting beheaded.While assistant pulls,put a 1/2 extension on the shaft and smack it with a BFH.Comes right off :shock:
Craig
Craig Nelson

1982 Spider 2000...pride and joy
1981 Fiat X1/9..gone but not forgotten
1976 124 Spider..the self-healer
2001 BMW 328ci daily driver and track car
Fling It Around Turns !
manoa matt

Post by manoa matt »

I'm not a big fan of pulling hard on the steering wheels, especially the faux wood early steering wheels. They are already prone to crack, and when you pull hard on them they twist quite easily. Once a small crack is induced, its only a matter of time before it grows and makes the wheel look terrible. Hammers are ok for suspension work, but not interior.